Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

New clutch and flywheel

Old 10-27-2014, 07:54 AM
Default New clutch and flywheel

Hello! My clutch is starting to slip in higher gears. Apparently, it is an original clutch. And if it is, then it would have 225k on it. I dunno if it is or not. Anyways, this is the clutch kit and flywheel I want to get:
Competition Clutch Gravity Series Stage 1 / 1.5 Clutch Kit Honda Civic
Honda Civic Competition Clutch Lightweight Steel Flywheel

What do you guys think? I also know I need a throwout bearing, because when the car is in natural and I release the clutch, I can hear some noise under there. So what I want to do is have that clutch kit and flywheel installed, along with the throwout bearing. Should I have anything else in the clutch/transmission area replaced at the same time? Like the slave cylinder? I don't much about the components of the clutch system, I have just always heard people say to replace other components at the same time. Thanks guys and let me know!

Old 10-27-2014, 06:20 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The noise that you are hearing is almost certainly the outer input shaft bearing in the transmission, it is a common problem. While the transmission is out of the car you can open it up and replace it.

ebay parts... enough said.

Apparently you don't do much city driving, if you did I would say go with a stock clutch because racing ones are not fun to drive in traffic.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:49 PM

Oh really? Also, I noticed when I take off normally in 1st gear, as I'm just driving slow in first gear, it's all quiet until about 5 seconds of driving, then a whirring sound kicks in. It has been getting worse and louder recently. At first I thought it was the throwout bearing, but I think it might be the outer input shaft on the transmission like you said.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:19 AM

My question is would it be cheaper to have the transmission rebuilt? It has 225k on it, so I think a lot of the bearings would need to be replaced. Or would it be cheaper to just pick up a used one with lower mileage and swap it in?

Old 10-29-2014, 05:07 PM
Recognized HCF Member

That one bearing is a weak link. The rest of the transmission will last a much longer time.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:05 PM

Just the outer input shaft bearing? How do I know if it needs a throwout bearing too?

Old 10-29-2014, 09:51 PM
HCF Member

one way to tell if you need a throwout bearing is, while sitting there in neutral, foot off the clutch. and you hear a rattle noise from the transmission area, push the clutch in, you dont need to put it in gear. just push the clutch in. if the noise goes away, that means your throwout bearing needs to be replaced.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:38 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Always change the throwout bearing when you replace clutch. They're usually sold in a set that includes clutch disk and cover, throwout bearing and pilot bearing.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by grove
one way to tell if you need a throwout bearing is, while sitting there in neutral, foot off the clutch. and you hear a rattle noise from the transmission area, push the clutch in, you dont need to put it in gear. just push the clutch in. if the noise goes away, that means your throwout bearing needs to be replaced.
Yup, that is EXACTLY what it does. Along with the whirling noise that starts after about 5 seconds of driving. So I will get my clutch replaced, throwout bearing, outer input shaft bearing, and pilot bearing. That should over it, right?