Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

new here,having trouble with 89 civic

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 11:49 AM
Default new here,having trouble with 89 civic

whats up everyone I am new here and I need some help,I found a 1989 honda civic LX four door,for sale where I work at,it has 196,105miles on the clock and the guy said he would sell it to me for $200,I have not bought it yet,because something is wrong with it,and I want to kinda get an understanding of what I might be,I have heard 2 stories of what it is doing,the first is that it dies after driving for a couple of milesand the second is that it only die's when put under load(flooring it).I hope its nothing to bad cause thats a pretty good deal,please need some help

heres a list of parts the guy has replaced
1distributer,spark plug wires,plugs,coil,fuel pump and fuel filter

also,if it helps he also told me it don't smoke or knock,and that it would idle all day long with out a problem

Old 07-11-2006, 12:29 PM
Default RE: new here,having trouble with 89 civic

could be a problem with the carb?

Old 07-11-2006, 01:45 PM
HCF Member

turn the key on (not in the start position) and make sure the check engine light comes on.
if it stays on, then there is a code you can read from the blinking lights on the ecu.

has he said if the cel is ON.

is this throttle body or port, or the old carburator ??

Old 07-11-2006, 02:14 PM

I think it is fuel injected, 1.5L I-4 MPI,I have not been able to look into yet cause I just found out about it today,I read another article in this forum about a car staring then dying,and it ended up being the fuel pump relay,but that was also in a 94 civic,could that be the problem,I also remember the guy told me it had a new timing belt,if the timing was off would it cause this,but I believe that was replaced after the car started acting up,I hope this information will help me find a solution

Old 07-11-2006, 02:48 PM
HCF Member

i cant see all 4 injectors going bad.
if the timing was off, it would not have the power that it should. don't hurt to check it; never know if a qualified person worked on it or not.

that relay is hard to get to (if same as 88 - think it is). take out that coin box and those 2 dummy covers and that compartment that you can open and close (3 screws). it is up against the back of the compartment and on the side of the interior wall. takes a 10 mm socket. i tried using a box wrench and the backer holding it on just turned and got all warped. need a socket - it is on tight.
here is a good link (that probably should go up into the top of this section of the forum) (if not already there):

http://techauto.tripod.com/mainrelay.htm

Old 07-11-2006, 06:42 PM

is there any certain way to tell if its the relay for sure,I just got done talking to the guy selling the car and he told me it fuel pressure,at Idle,not sure if did when it dyied probley not i'll keep posted