Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Noise problem after timing belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 08:29 PM
Default Noise problem after timing belt replacement

Took my 03 civic to the dealer to have the timing belt replaced before it broke. I was nervous fixing something that wasn't broken. My car has low miles for the year, but was told that cars this old need new belts.

As soon as I drove it in the parking lot after the repair I knew something wasn't right. I heard a knocking noise from the engine. It wasn't doing that before.

The first moron service rep who drove it said he didn't hear a thing. It sounded just fine to him. Of course that got my blood pressure boiling. You don't say that to someone who just spent $600 at your place. If I drive it all the time and say I hear it, it's there. My husband also heard it very clearly.

The manager had me leave it there overnight - very inconvenient. I hope they figure this out. My car wasn't making that noise before. And I won't accept them shaking their heads saying they don't know or can't hear it.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

Old 05-05-2011, 03:41 AM
HCF Member

Hmm..I have a feeling they might have left a wrench in there or something..that happens sometimes.....Next time drive with the service Rep, he may think the noise is normal(which it isn't to you) or maybe the rep is just in denial.