Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

No start after timing belt replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 11:30 AM
Default No start after timing belt replacement?

Yesterday I replaced the timing belt on my 2002 Civic EX.
I had the cam off a few teeth, and the engine would crank but not start.
I set the timing correctly, rotated the crank by hand a few timesand everything was timed correctly and it spun normally.
It would still just crank with no start, it isn't even trying to fire off.

Another thing is that i forgot to disconnect the negative battery cable and arced the alternator when I was taking it off.

So here are my questions..
1) When you disconnect the battery on these cars, does it cause a problem with the immobilizer or the alarm system? Did it reset the arlarm and is causing it not to start?

2)When I arced the alternator connector, could I have fried something? It blew the 80A battery fuse, but I repaced it and all the other fuses are ok. (FI fuse, Ig. Coil fuse, Fuel pump fuse).

All I did was disconnect the battery, change the timing belt (timing is correct), and made a spark from the alternator...any idea???

Old 06-10-2007, 05:51 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: No start after timing belt replacement?

80a fuses are pretty hard to pop.check fuel, compression, spark if you have all those it should start and run, make sure you battery is ground

Old 06-11-2007, 05:44 AM

The 80A battery fuse did pop after I arced the alternator.
Could I have fried the DME or something on the harness?

Could turning the engine backwards cause any problems? It spun freely by hand after I set the timing correctly, so I don't think it interfered.

Old 06-11-2007, 06:01 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Do you get sparks? Could've fried the ECU or other module. Turning the engine backwards by hand won't hurt anything if it's properly timed (You're sure it's properly timed now? It may be possible to not have interference but it still won't run). Also if there's a crank sensor instead of distributor it could've been damaged. Another possibility is the valves crashed while it was "a few teeth off." So like riceburner said, treat this as any other no-start and check the basics: fuel, compression, spark.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:14 AM

Yeah, I am going to check a few things when I get off work.
I unplugged the camshaft and crankshaft sensors when I was replacing the timing belt....is that bad? I heard it can damage the engine harness?

Old 06-12-2007, 05:28 AM

No compression on all cylinders.
I bent the valves. I think the tensioner wasn't fully seated against the belt, which allowed the cam or crank to turn independently.
I'm getting a machine shop to replace all the valves that were bent and to check for other damages.
Any recommendations?

Old 06-14-2007, 10:10 AM

Is it required to replace the head bolts?

Old 06-14-2007, 10:28 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Yes, use the head bolts once only. Of course you also need a new head gasket, and new manifold gaskets if you end up seperating the manifolds from the head(*), which will probably be necessary to do a proper valve job. Before you take it apart I suggest checking for sparks, if you haven't already, to see if you'll also be fighting an electrical problem after the valves are repaired.

(*) Undo the exhaust mainfold from the first exhaust pipe and take the intake brace off the back so you can then lift the head, manifolds, throttle body, fuel injectors, etc. off as a unit (in other words, the whole top half of the engine). Disassemble further if necessary after the head is out of the car.