Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Odd starting issue on practically new 07' Civic

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 06:14 PM
Default Odd starting issue on practically new 07' Civic

Hello all! I have a tricky question that hopefully someone can provide some insight into regarding a starting issue I've been experiencing with my 2007 Civic EX Coupe. Often enough (at least once or twice a week), the car hesitates when I start it. I turn the key and it cranks a couple times, fires, and then "pop...pop..pop" but doesn't fire fully. Often, the car will finally start on its own but there have been a few times where I've had to give it some gas to get the engine running. Certainly not something I want to have to deal with, especially since this car is pretty much new. I've read a small bit on the issue from others but there doesn't appear to be much information out there since the car is so new. Also, I always turn the key to the on position and allow the fuel pump to kick in (saw something about "build up the pressure" in another post) before I crank the engine. I haven't taken the car to the dealer yet but plan on doing so soon. I LOVE the car but this problem is driving me nuts! I purchased the car brand new in September and it has around 2,600 miles on it now. Is there anything anyone can think of? I've checked the TSB's and I can't find anything. Any other owners that have had a similar problem like mine? If anyone has any information, I would really appreciate them sharing their experience! Thanks in advance!

-Matt

Old 11-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Default RE: Odd starting issue on practically new 07' Civic

Take it to the service department.....its under warranty......DAAAAAHHHHHH!
Take a brain enhancement pill while you are at it.....

Old 11-09-2007, 12:03 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Odd starting issue on practically new 07' Civic

If it doesn't happen all the time the dealer may not be able to do much for you. But it should start about instantly if you've let it prime like you describe. I don't know if an '07 has a fuel return system or just a single line to the injectors. The latter kind can "vapor lock" and cause symptoms like you describe, but it won't hurt anything.