Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Oil Change~!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 07:59 PM
HCF Member

well i didn't get to pour oil in the oil filter when replacing the old one.
also i didn't need an oil filter wrench either.
everything went great.! only problem i fell into was removing the oil filter, ugh i forgot theres oil in tehre too..luckily my face was far away from that location,haha.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:36 PM
HCF Member

Ha ha well congrats! its the first step on the way to doing more advanced things on your car!

Old 12-17-2009, 09:43 AM
HCF Member

yeah, good for you. first oil change is a proud moment. have you ever had the transmission fluid changed in your car? that is even easier than an oil change, might wanna move onto that one next if your car is due.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:20 PM
HCF Member

hmm, the tranny fluid where is that located?

Old 12-17-2009, 05:40 PM
HCF Member

there is a plug on the bottom of your tranny, which will have a square hole in the center, you can fit your socket wrench right into it. I could get mine off without even going under the car, but if you are lowered, have a lip, or are bigger you might need to raise it.

-then remove the trans dipstick so it drains faster.
-next wipe off all of the crap stuck to the drain plug, this is actually a magnet that works in place of a filter.
-wait a few min for it to finish draining, then put the plug back in and add your trans fluid.
-put the dipstick back

this is how its done on my automatic, I think its the same for a manual, but im not positive.

also, you might wanna let the car run for a little bit before you do it so that the viscosity of the trans fluid is thinner from heating up. this will make it drain faster. just be careful not to burn yourself when it spews out.

also, you might wanna consider high mileage transmission fluid if you are over 100k.

goodluck, if my explanation was lacking, im pretty sure there is a diy thread on here for it somewhere.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:26 PM
HCF Member

your explanation was great, only thing i'm wondering is what if i put my oil in the wrong hole :O
both these sound SOO similar, what the hell. the oil change i did, the oil that was drained came out of a black looking box. the tranny fluid drains from the bottom of the tranny correct?

Old 12-17-2009, 07:04 PM
HCF Member

yeah, when facing the grill of your car the oil drain is underneath on the right side, the tranny drain on the left.

you add oil to the opening on your valve cover. you add trans fluid through the tranny dipstick hole with a funnel. this dipstick is yellow, and on the left of the engine bay kind of hidden down below where the stock intake tube would be. you might have to remove your intake to reach it depending on the shape and size.

trans fluid should be red on the way in and brown on the way out if it was really dirty.

I dont remember how many quarts of A/T fluid you need to add, but it would say in your manual if you still have one.

I noticed much smoother shifting after the change, cause my trans fluid hadnt been changed for 130k miles to my knowledge, and it was deep brown when i drained it :P

Old 12-17-2009, 08:04 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Is your transmission manual or automatic Jay? Manuals do not have a dipstick, you will need a funnel with a hose attached to refill it.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:17 PM
HCF Member

manual, yeah i was curious about (what yellow dipstick?) that. anybody got a photo for a deeper look at where it is?

Old 12-18-2009, 09:30 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Actually if you look up the DIY on this site about axle replacement, it also has good instructions for draining and refilling a manual transmission, which is part of the job when replacing an axle. Just ignore the parts in the middle about replacing the axle.

Quick Reply: Oil Change~!