Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 06:33 PM
Default Oil consumption

My car hasn't burned oil like this at all since I replaced the head gasket. 1/4 every 200 miles. Car has 139k. I know its not the head gasket I took extreme care in re-installing and no coolant and oil is mixing but I'll do a compression test just to make sure. Will a leak down test also determine this with air bubbles coming out the rad? There are no external leak anyway the motor is really clean, it has been pressure washed. I replaced the head gasket cause I needed to take the head off and bring it to a machine shop so they can fix a stripped out spark plug hole that the guy rtv'ed the spark plug into before hand... Anyway only one cylinder is wet, the 4th one. When I removed the spark plugs that was the only cylinder consuming oil. It was all shiny wet inside and the spark plug was fouled at the base. I am bringing my car into the shop this wed for a leak down test. I know that people that I work with know how to check but I thought Id post here for my own personal preference. If there is good leak down like 5-10% max, would that indicate bad valve seals if the cyl is holding pressure? I just hope I dont have to take the head off because someone told me I can removed the springs if the head is still on the car when there is air in the cyl. But If I have to I guess I'll have to again. I will post the results this wed.

EDIT: Random question but when does VTEC "crack" in my vehicle?

Old 11-15-2011, 03:51 AM

And it burns most of the oil when I'm driving with a cold engine. If I rev it up to 5k+ I get black smoke. I filled it up last night, let my car warm up this morning and after driving 70 miles little, if no oil, was consumed.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:05 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Overheating the engine can mess up the cylinders and rings causing it to burn oil. Oil smoke that gets worse when you floor it is not the valve seals.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:45 PM

Since I had the car it never over heated. And im not getting blue smoke its black. It idles really good and drives really good. Is unburned fuel thinning out the oil and causing it to burn? But I dont understand why its just in one cylinder. Will let you guys know whats the deal with the CLT tomorrow.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:31 AM

Ok I onl had time to do 2 cylinders I had a time restraint at work. I did the cylinder I was worried about (the 4th one), and another cylinder just to compare (1st one). The fourth cylinder had 18% leakage, the first one 8%. After putting oil in they went down about 4% each. So im guessing valve stem seals since those are acceptable values. Suggestions?