Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Oil, oil everywhere

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 11:25 PM
Default Oil, oil everywhere

Well, I couldnt find any other forums that are that helpful as you guys, so imma ask you guys for a little help. My friend was running low on oil today, so we put oil in there till there was enough. About an hour later, we smelled something burning, and popped the hood. The entire left part of the motor was covered in oil, but the right side was still dry. We cleaned it off, but it seemed like there was some oil left at the bottom of the car. He said hes gonna get it check tomorrow morning, and also get an oil change. Can this be damaging to the car?

Btw: its a toyota celica '94 coupe

Old 12-21-2005, 11:39 PM
Default RE: Oil, oil everywhere

well if he is geting it checked out tomorow he will probably be fine if it is completly down one side of the engine then it might be the valve cover gasket the oil pan might be leeking too since you said you washed it down but see some oil at the bottom and man the valve cover is easy to replace but that oil pan is a pain in the butt there are two braceses on the bottom that have to be removed to get the pan out.

Old 12-22-2005, 01:30 AM

its cause the oil cap wasn't screwed on all the way ( i guess) and the oil kinda spilled all over the place.

Old 12-22-2005, 09:09 AM

It won't harm the engine unless the internal oil was run dry or very very low.

Old 12-22-2005, 09:40 AM

get a can of engine cleaner and spray the whole thing down
with it then hose it off . That oil will smoke and stink if you don't
get it all off. The engine probably needs to be cleaned anyway.

Old 12-24-2005, 03:48 PM

i filled my car up with oil once and forgot to put the cap back on it. it sprayed all over the the engine the compartment and the bottom side of the hoood. it was a white car so it made it look even better. you won't believe this but when i came to a rest and looked for the cap it had fell and rested on the intake manifold between the second and third injector. i was so lucky it just diodnt fall right out. i used to own a 96 ford aspire good little car great on gas. that thing would run in the low 13's............................0----->60 in 13 seconds. lol

Old 12-24-2005, 04:06 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: 94 Civic Ex

i filled my car up with oil once and forgot to put the cap back on it. it sprayed all over the the engine the compartment and the bottom side of the hoood. it was a white car so it made it look even better. you won't believe this but when i came to a rest and looked for the cap it had fell and rested on the intake manifold between the second and third injector. i was so lucky it just diodnt fall right out. i used to own a 96 ford aspire good little car great on gas. that thing would run in the low 13's............................0----->60 in 13 seconds. lol
Good thing you didn't loose the 710 cap...they can be a bear to replace sometimes :-)