Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

okay people, im on my last nerve with this one please help me

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 08:34 AM
Exclamation okay people, im on my last nerve with this one please help me

okay. so i bought a 93 civic from this kid i knew for 1500 dollars. its a 93 civic coupe 5spd with a d16y8 swap in it. i cant figure out what year the engine is so i have no clue, but the guy said when he put the engine in they put a new cluster in and wound it up to 55,400 something miles thats what he said was on the motor out of the other civic. so. the car ran good. it was quick. after market headers, injen intake itp fuel rail just a bunch of stuff. so anyways long story to be longer, i changed my oil. and the engine was still a bit warm but it wasnt scolding. it was hot. but not like i just drove it 160 for 30 minutes and stopped to change the oil. so when i put the bolt back it it seemed to go back in tight just the way i had it before but it just didnt realy look right. but the bolt was tight, so i put the oil in the car, changed the oil filter, and ripped out. i ran about 2 miles before it started to sound and drive just a bit funny. squeaking is what i heard, so at the next stoplight i drove it and little bit harder to see how well the oil made the car run better. so when i got back to the house, i pulled up to the garage and it just started sqeualing and moaning making a bunch of wierd *** noices, so i cut it off. let it sit. cut it back on and when i did it started squealing and i looked under the car. no oil drain bolt. so i ran it about a mile with no oil and didnt know it. so i check the oil pan and the threads were slicked on the oil pan. so i bought an oversized bolt, for a 93 civic 1.6 like a dumbass not thinking. it went it find and i drove it for a while with it, i checked the oil in it every other 15to 20 miles to make sure i wasnt out. it leaked a bit but not enough to do damage. so i drove it kinda hard because it ran really really good with this new oil. and then after a while i let it sit. i got back in about 4 hours later to go get something to eat, and then im going up the hill on 220 and all of a sudden i just lose all my power going 60 mph in 5th gear. and i had to pull over becuase i just heard the worst knocking ever. deep knocking not like a valve tap. so i towed it to my friends house and i took eveything off the top end. blown head gasket. but thats not my issue. my issue is why when i turn my crankshaft do all my pistons fire perfectly with no hesitation and no noise at all very smooth and nothing wrong to see. what could the knocking be, and would you reccomment just buying a new block becuase i just replaced all my top end components and pollished everything too. please everyone help this is my only transportation and i need to get to school so please help the best you can:confus ed::confus ed::confus ed::confus ed::confus ed:

Old 09-25-2011, 08:40 AM
HCF Member

You ran the sump dry, you probably trashed your rod bearings. Probably spun one off and the gap is making the knocking sound. Block might be fine, but you probably need a full bottom end rebuild. Pray your crank journals are ok.

Did the oil pressure light not come on?