Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Out of ideas

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 12:00 PM
Default Out of ideas

I have a 93 civic ex and im at a loss on ideas at this point. I had overheating issues so the mechanic told put some blue devil (slow one) can was fine for 3 weeks.no overheating. Then started again. Changed the radiator, thermostat, temp guage sensor. Was working fine for a few days. Then it started having problems starting. I had to gas the car to get it to start.at that point we changed the fuel pump and filter, spark plugs and wires, and i believe the rotor spring (inside the distributor i think? Im not mechanically inclined) and a radiator hose. Car was running a bit hot again. Guage disnt go higher than middle level.not like before when it would almost red line.
So now if the car is cold it starts right up but if i drive it for more than i would say 10-15 mins and turn it off it wont. I have to let the car sit for about 20-30 mins and let it cool off before it cranks right up again. Its also losing coolant and i have to fill the radiator almost daily but the reservoir tank is full
Can someone PLEASE help me out? Ive put $1000 into the car for parts and labor and its still not fixed. I dont have money to throw away anymore and need a clear concise solution to why my car is still messed up.

Thank you

Last edited by Mizzaide; 02-25-2016 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Forgot all details
Old 02-25-2016, 03:28 PM

head gasket - did anyone test for that being a problem? not sure what blue devil is

Edit: just researched blue devil. you mechanic poured in a band aid fix for a head gasket problem. It was probably the reason why you had problems before and why they are back again.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
head gasket - did anyone test for that being a problem? not sure what blue devil is
When he did the compression test it came out the radiator was bad.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:21 AM

I think the main relay may have a cold solder joint, and that could be causing the warm engine problems. I will know more after this weekend because mine has the exact same warm condition problem. As far as the heating problem you were having, I had to have the water pump replaced twice in 2 years...they do go bad, and also the radiator went as well. Just throwing thoughts out there.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by fblevins1
I think the main relay may have a cold solder joint, and that could be causing the warm engine problems. I will know more after this weekend because mine has the exact same warm condition problem. As far as the heating problem you were having, I had to have the water pump replaced twice in 2 years...they do go bad, and also the radiator went as well. Just throwing thoughts out there.
I just replaced the water pump. Let me know what u find. Ive noticed as long as i put water in the radiator at the beginning of the day it doesnt overheat or warm up .