Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

overheating

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 10:27 PM
Default overheating

hey guys im hoping i dont hAave a cracked headgasket but this is the story so far. I noticed my car overheating had fluid so i went out and got a new thermostat installed it and it fixed it for a while ok then started again with getting hot i had it flushed and it helped for a while but again started getting hot again a friend noticed my radiator fan wasnt coming on so im like damn great easy to fix we figured out it needed a relay had to buy one from the damn dealer 40 something bucks so ya i was pissed popped that baby in but temp didnt go down fan was coming on but still hot came home watached it and fan wasnt coming on still so we got to messing with it and unplugged connection and plugged it back in and it worked so it was a bad connection ok so good fan is working now but still getting hot and ive noticed my rad fluid is bubbling and im thinking its boiling the stuff cause when i check it its bone dry in radiator and the fill container so im at a loss for words i have no idea what the hell it can be someone please help im dying here

Old 11-06-2005, 10:33 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: overheating

If you think its a blown head gasket, a comp test should tell you if the head gasket is blown. One or more of the cylinders may show low/no compression.

Old 11-07-2005, 12:03 AM
HCF Member

Sounds like a head gasket to me. What year is your Civic/how many miles?

Get that comp test soon, as you can do some serious damage to the head driving around with the engine overheating.

Old 11-07-2005, 12:19 AM
HCF Member

actually, if the head gasket is leaking inot the oil or whatever, it wont show in the comp test. and sometimes they dont leak till it gets warmed up or something like that too, and that skews the results. but still do a compression test, check the oil for discoloration, and see if you ever smell the coolant. theres no puddle, right?

Old 11-07-2005, 12:25 PM
HCF Member

i had a blown headgaskit on my old car before i sold it, that sounds like the problem man, if you have to keep refilling the coolent..first it started with the coolent being low...then it starting almost over heating (got almost there) then the car would start shaking once and a wile and you will notice alot of black smoke out the exhust, then start shaking very bad and smoke coming from in the engine bay...this all happings within a month, i drove my car everyday with a blow headgaskit, (it was a crapper and i wanted to get rid of it anyways,only way to get to school also) but i would stop driving now because you might warp the head and that will cost you even more money to get it machined...p.s when i went to go get quotes to get it fixed,they all varied between 900-1700 (canadian for my old sunbird). But if someone can give you a diy its very easy, we had a civic with a supercharger come in with a blown gaskit and it took us about 20min to take it apart and put it back toughter ( minis the time it went out to go get machined)