Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Overheating And oil leak problem - NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 11:40 PM
Default Overheating And oil leak problem - NEED HELP

Hi

I have a 2005 Honda Civic Coupe SE Manual Transmission. And about a month ago my car was running great, no problems since the winter before. So I take my car into the shop to get new inner fender put on which broke ways back. And I had my machanic get Left and Right stabilizers and right tie-rod ends replaced. I also got 4 new spark plugs replaced.

Anyways so I pick my car up and the next morning I get up for work, its -27 Celsius outside, coldest day of the year also friday feb the 13th, Im late for work, let it warm up for 15 min and hop in and drive off.

I get on highway and I knotice my heater is not turning on, And a half hour later its still not turning on, and then after 45 min, no heat I knoticed the temp. Gages is red top line hot. So I get off at exit which so happens to be my exit. I stop at a red light and smoke pores out the front hood. I turn off my car, it doesn't restart for five min. It finally restarts after cooling down, I get out of the intersection, and drive to work around the corner. Let it sit for 3 hours until Im down work.

I get someone to look under the hood with me. We knotice a thin small tube connecting to my reserve coolent tank has cracked and it disconnected. So we duct tape it up. Coolent levels fine. Dont see any leaks. So I start the car and drive it to my machanic which i shouldnt have done but I did.

It over heats and I pull over, let it cool and keep doing the same thing until I get there.

My machanic finds a white grey cloudy substance mixed in with the oil and coolent. I guess the coolent got into the oil. He replaces the rad and temp gage. he says I hope there no other problems, it heated up so bad the coolent cap melted. He thinks there might be an internal engine problem. So i keep my fingures crossed all is good. I drive it home, works fine, not over heating.

I let it sit in the driveway in -20 for 3 hours. I take it out for a spin. It overheats after ten min. Starts smoke slightly. Oil leaking and coolent also leaking.

I take it back home. Call my machanic, he said well you could replace the water pump but then what if thats not the problem, the head gasket could be replaced after that, but if the problem is still there then what, all is left is to replace the engine. Do you want to spend that money.

So it was plus 10 out the other day, The reserve coolent tank was empty, i filled it up. Drive it and it quickly overheated after a few minutes. I opened the hood to find very sligh white smoke comming up from the right side of the engine.
It appeared that there was no coolent leaking but oil was still leaking. Heater still not working. Engine runs smoothly and sounds good. No jugging.

I have already replace the engine once already at 180,000km and now its got 270,000km on it with a used enigne that had about 50,000km when I put it in at the 180,000km mark. The engine sounds fine and normal when I rev it up. The car starts perfectly when cold, car drives fine, no jugglng or acceleration issues. Is it an engine problem if the engine sounds and runs good.

- overheating
- heater not working
- oil leak
- coolent leak
- smoking from under the hood.

I have a family friend who could replace the motor but he cant find any under 200,000km he said it might not be worth it. Could be a long wait to find a low km engine.

He had a quick peak under the hood a month ago and the coolent was boiling like water in the reserve tank, he said thats not good. Id like him to have a better look at the car.

Anyways I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what the problem may be or a way to determine exactly what the problem is and what exactly needs to be repaired before I go wasting money on parts that dont need to be replaced.

Or if you have a story simular or the same as mine and would like to share it with me and share how you fixed it.

Do you think this car is worth repairing if Im looking to make it last another couple years ? Could be cheaper then buying another used car with other problems.

Thanks
Kyle

Last edited by Kyle_2015; 03-26-2015 at 05:30 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:31 PM
HCF Member

when it warmed up the coolant leaked out instead of going into the overflow tank and you lost pressure in the system which caused the engine to over heat. the constant cooling and over heating caused by you repeatedly driving it warped the engine block or head which caused your head gaskit to fail. never drive are car thats overheated shut it down and find out whats wrong or you will cause more damage as you did. it mite be possible to have your head plaind and straightened at a machine shop i would remove the head and have a shop test it.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:49 AM

Ok thanks