Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

p1456

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 02:57 AM
Default p1456

evap emmision control system vacuum leak

i was wondering how do i find the vacuum leak and if i do find anything how do i fix it ??
if its any of hte tubing i just replace it ???

if its the fuel canister i replace it also ?? i dontk now where to start
to find the leak .. will the shops charge a bitch to fix it ?? anyone knows
an estimate of the cost?

Old 06-14-2006, 07:13 AM
Default RE: p1456

The best way I found to find a vacuum leak is with a can of carb cleaner.

With the car running, spray around all your hoses and listen for the idle to change. It can go either way (up or down).

If you hear a change, you have a vacuum leak at that point.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:43 PM

Before you get ahead of yourself, Honda's description for this code is:Evaporative Emission (EVAP) control system leak detected (fuel tank system). This means the computer is detecting a leak in the fuel tank. Most all Honda's (with an EVAP system), have a fuel tank pressure sensor, and if there is a leak, it will notice that there is no pressure building up in the tank. Not much pressure is needed, just a little over atmospheric, but if there's even a small leak the computer will sense it. About 99% of the time this fault code is set because the gas cap has gone bad, or somebody didn't tighten it correctly, which obviously prevents pressure build up. My suggestion, tighten your cap at least three clicks, then reset the ECU either by pulling the "BACK UP" fuse from under your hood for at least 10 seconds, or driving the car and allowing it to reset itself, which will take 3 warm-up/cool-down cycles. If it comes back on, replace your gas cap for a measly $8 and repeat those steps again.

Old 06-14-2006, 01:03 PM

oo yeah i did lost my gas cap =) and then i got one of my friends but at times when i rev the gas the car idles at like 0 rpm and it goes back up then its okay .. my friend has a computer thing so he resetted the codes from the ecu .. he say the engine light may come back on but u still see the rpm going to 0 when i revi t up ..
and oh yeah it is a prelude cap in to a civic .. its quite old too .. perhaps i need a cleaner one ?

Old 06-14-2006, 01:42 PM

So the engine does rev up when you push the gas, but the tachometer reads 0 rpm? Or does the engine actually hesitate and slow down when you push the gas, and then speed up? Maybe it's me, but try writing things a little more clearly. As for the gas cap, I would definitely go buy a new one. Honda sells them for about $8, and aftermarket ones are about the same.

Old 06-14-2006, 11:23 PM

what i meant is okay. . the car drives normally .. but when i come to a stop it still goes normally not like a 02 sensor or something where idle isnt steady.

the idle only drops to 0 and slowly goes back up when i come to a complete stop after i rev the car about 5k rpm.. if i drive the car smoothly with 3k rpm and shift gear on normal driving then its okay.. only when i drive the car rough .. does the rpm goes down to 0 when i come to a complete stop .. teh car doesnt dies