Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

P2646- vtech problem- Please help

Old 07-22-2011, 09:40 AM
Default P2646- vtech problem- Please help

Hi all,

Honda Civic 2005 Si 1.7L 4Dr 156km

I have been running into many many problems and i have been killing my savings trying to keep this car alive. Basically this started 4 days ago that probably showed signs a month ago.

Approximately a month ago there was a weird ratle underneath my car when i was idling or in first gear. Took it to a mechanic and he told me it was just rust. 4 days ago, I am driving to work and on the 407 and my CEL starts flashing like crazy. Luckly as soon as i exit, there is a crappy tire (canadian tire) in front of me. Take it in and leave my car. Basically they say my engine misfired and i need to replace coil, spark plugs, my o2 sensor is gone, and somehow my threads are gone. I tell them to fix the issue, they go about it.

I come back from work and my car is somehow stalling everytime the car is in neutral. They tell me there is no point putting in an O2 sensor since thats not helping anything with the stall. So they take that out and put the old piece in there. They show me the old parts that they changed and they were really worn out. I take the car home somehow and i also realize i have no power in the car. The car has no push and anytime in neutral the RPM dips below700 and stall.

Next morning i take the car to a mechanic close to my house and he checks everything out. He tells me i need a new catylitic converter, o2 sensor, oil change. I tell him about the the stalling and ironically when the o2 sensor is completly plugged out, the car does not stall. So at this poit i change all this in hope my car would be on the road again.

I get my car and the stalling is gone and the noise underneath my car is gone too, but i still have no power. Now when im at a complete stop, the rpm drops to about 500, 600; but in neutral while driving its in the 900 range. As im driving out of the shop, about 30 km later, i get a CEL pop up again. This time the code reads P2646- which is something to do with the V-tech? Now what should i do?

Any way to fix my symptoms and are they related to the V-tech? Where can i take it to get a good job done and how much am i potentially looking at?

Old 07-22-2011, 11:37 AM
HCF Member

ya, it's the v-tec solenoid, try take it out and clean it.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:22 PM

could that be the reason why rpm is still dropping quite low when i am in idle? and does it coincide with the other symptoms i have?