Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

PAINT, SOUND DEADENING, RUST PROOFING ADDONS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 05:51 PM
Default PAINT, SOUND DEADENING, RUST PROOFING ADDONS?

About to take delivery of a new CIVIC, now the dealer wants more money for,
1. Paint protection treatment. (I thought current auto paints required washing with water only to retain there gloss?).
2. Undercar sound deadening. ( Dont that spray that on in the factory as standard?)
3. Rust proofing. ( Using these vehicles in normal conditions, like all modern cars, shouldn't go rusty?)
4. Window tinting ( Factory tinting they say is 8% is that effective).

Is it a fair go for the dealer to ask to pay extra for these on a new Honda?
How are these cars looking after the first three years?
Thanks for veiwing, double thanks for your response!!

Old 10-13-2007, 06:10 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: PAINT, SOUND DEADENING, RUST PROOFING ADDONS?

well the undercar sound deadening... id ask to just SEE a car with and without it done... if it is something different from factory id get it..... just cause at least my older civics are LOUD road noise which sucks!
window tinting... again ask to see one done and one not done....
if its not dark enough for you just pass and get it done at another tinting place just let them know ya dont want any bubbles or your gonna be back to have it redone.LOL

and rust proofing i dont know HOW they would do it now adays BUT if you can afford it id get it just for added protection if your in a area with snow..... and salt.....

with anything they want to charge you for ask more questions.... how they do this stuff what they do it with and if you can see one done and one not done!!!!!
if it sounds like BS and they cannt show you the difference then it must be BS.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:18 PM
Default RE: PAINT, SOUND DEADENING, RUST PROOFING ADDONS?

Here's my $0.02. My wife bought a new Civic in 1992. It was never garaged and always driven in snow/salt in upstate NY and Vermont. Fifteen years and 215,000 miles later, the paint looks okay, the undercarriage is fine, and the tiresmake a big difference in sound. Rust seems to build up on the rear quarter panels and I don't think there is much anyone can do about it. I would also have to replace the center pipe/muffler every 2-3 years because of rust. If it were my decision, I wouldn't buy any of the extras.