Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Paperclip Fell through Gap of Instrument Panel

Old 10-30-2014, 03:10 PM
Unhappy Paperclip Fell through Gap of Instrument Panel

Tried looking through the threads for a fail like mine, but didn't find another person with the same troubles as me.
I have a 2012 Honda Civic Sedan.

Anyway, I had a fairly straightened-out paperclip laying on the compartment on top of the steering wheel (not sure what this is called) against the instrument panel. I found out today that half of it was in between the gap the panel and the compartment above the steering wheel. I tried to tenderly pull it out, but as soon as I thought I had it, it fell through completely. I tried moving the steering wheel around to see if it will fall out or move around but I haven't heard much noise yet.

I am a complete noob so I'm not sure what to do. Should I just wait for the paperclip to fall out as I see that there are gaps beneath the compartment (where the steering wheel column and stuff is)? Or do I have to take the whole thing apart (and when I mean I, I mean probably a professional)?

I tried to stick my hand up in that gap but didn't feel anything but wires and rubber. Any help would be appreciated since I have no idea what damage a small paperclip could do (any? none?).

Old 10-30-2014, 06:57 PM
HCF Member

i knew someone that this exact same thing happened to the paper clip lodged into the steering rack and the driver lost control spun out and crashed head on into a Staples supply store truck.when the airbag went off it shot the same paper clip that caused the accident rite into there head they were killed instantly. till this day i have irrational fears of staples and paper clips also office supply stores.

Last edited by itburnswhenIP; 10-30-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:06 PM
Default Probably Naive

This is probably naive of me, but I can't tell if you're serious or not.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:23 PM
HCF Member

of course not silly isn't your car drive by wire because the paper clip could possibly short out the steering causing you to drive through a staples supply store.

Last edited by itburnswhenIP; 11-06-2014 at 11:31 PM.