Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Parking/brake light stays on

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 04:33 AM
Default Parking/brake light stays on

Hey guys,

I'm new here and I need some help. My parking/brake lights (at the rear of car, not the dash) stay on when the car is off. All switches are off inside. I have to unplug the battery to shut it off. Any ideas?

Old 08-13-2006, 09:16 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Parking/brake light stays on

check your brake fluid level, if it is low fill it then go to a shop and get it checked for a brake fluid leak... cause if it is low then there is only one way to get it out and that is through a leak.,

Old 08-13-2006, 11:07 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Fiirkan

check your brake fluid level, if it is low fill it then go to a shop and get it checked for a brake fluid leak... cause if it is low then there is only one way to get it out and that is through a leak.,
you are TOTALLY INCORRECT.......

First off he is talikng about the brake lamp,, ( he said the rear of the car,, not the dash ) and secondly the lite in the dash that you are thinking ,, yes it will come on if there is a leak but it also will make the lite come on if the pads wear down thus the fluid will be low on the reservoir without a leak but if the lite stays on even with key off that is not the problem anyways

You need to chk by the brake pedal, where the brake switch plunger comes out there is suppose to be a small rubber stopper, if it is missing , it will make the brake switch plunger stick out as if you were pushing on the brakes ,,.. If missing , install a new one less than 1 dollar from the dealer,,,,,,,,if that's not it , you might have a brake switch sticking close , or a short to power in the brake wiring .........But i am willing to bet that it is that little rubber plunger missing or worn down

Old 08-13-2006, 03:41 PM

ORIGINAL: deserthonda

ORIGINAL: Fiirkan

you are TOTALLY INCORRECT.......

First off he is talikng about the brake lamp,, ( he said the rear of the car,, not the dash ) and secondly the lite in the dash that you are thinking ,, yes it will come on if there is a leak but it also will make the lite come on if the pads wear down thus the fluid will be low on the reservoir without a leak but if the lite stays on even with key off that is not the problem anyways

You need to chk by the brake pedal, where the brake switch plunger comes out there is suppose to be a small rubber stopper, if it is missing , it will make the brake switch plunger stick out as if you were pushing on the brakes ,,.. If missing , install a new one less than 1 dollar from the dealer,,,,,,,,if that's not it , you might have a brake switch sticking close , or a short to power in the brake wiring .........But i am willing to bet that it is that little rubber plunger missing or worn down
[hr]I

I'll check the plunger today. I'll post results later. Thanks.

Old 08-15-2006, 03:09 AM

deserthonda,

You nailed the problem. Thanks. I think it would have cost Honda thousands more to make the switch a 1/4 in closer.[sm=dontgetit.gif]