Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Please, Please, Help!! - Civic Won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 06:16 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Randomly replacing parts is a poor strategy for fixing your Civic. It's also difficult to help when you typically don't answer basic questions and when the information you provide is incomplete. First you stated that you don't have fuel (no power at fuse 18) and more recently that you also don't have spark. ***If you don't have either fuel or spark, then check the critical ground wire located on thermostat housing. It may be loose or corroded.***

Retrieve the CEL code as described at the link in my signature. My guess would be that the code(s) is related to the lack of power at PGM-FI fuse 18.

Last edited by RonJ; 08-31-2008 at 06:20 AM.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:02 PM

i did the whole CEL procedure and my heck engine light does not blink. i checked and make sure that the paperclip that i was using is conducting, whic it was. then i went on to reset my ecu and still no effect. could this mean that my ecu is f'ed

Old 08-31-2008, 05:06 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I usually wouldn't tell anyone to ignore the CEL but, in this case, you already know you lack both fuel and spark. Thoroughly clean the ground wire attached to the thermostat housing until there is excellent metal-to-metal contact. Let us know whether this fixes the problem.

If the ground wire is fine, the next step is to test the signal between the MAP sensor and ECU. In this case, it is possible that the ECU could be bad. Test don't just replace!

Last edited by RonJ; 08-31-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:47 AM

ron, sorry for lots of stupid questions, but can you point out the general area of the thermostat housing?
Again sry for all these questions.
Thanks

Old 09-01-2008, 07:13 AM
Recognized HCF Member

No problem. Here you go:

Name:  picture_1367-1.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  109.3 KB

Old 09-04-2008, 07:48 PM

still nothing.
Let me start over. I disconnected the ecu like a month ago cause i was installing sound insulation and wanted to get underneat the ecu so i get better effect. i also removed all of the SRS components as well, so "i save weight". after i put my whole interior back together and reconnecting the ecu, car would not carnk. i did not put the insulation over any of the wires or grounds. so could be fried ecu? if so, how should i connect the new one so i prevent the problem in the future(steps)?
Thanks

Old 09-04-2008, 08:05 PM
Recognized HCF Member

so could be fried ecu? if so, how should i connect the new one so i prevent the problem in the future(steps)?
You must get power restored to fuse 18 before considering a blown ECU.

Other points:
Check whether fuse 32 (7.5A) under the hood is blown. There may be a short in the circuit used to reset the ECU, which would lead to the CEL being ON constantly.

When you say the engine won't crank, do you mean that the starter motor does not turn the engine or that the engine turns but doesn't fire up/start when you turn the ignition key?

Last edited by RonJ; 09-04-2008 at 11:09 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by DontHateOnEG8
...but i had time to check the fuses, and they all good, ecsept for the 18 fuel fuse, even when i depress clutch.
Did you check for power at fuse 31 (under hood) and fuse 24 (in SRS fuse box) with the ignition key turned to ON? Are these fuses possibly blown?

Fuse 18 gets power when the ignition switch is in the start position and the clutch is depressed. [EDIT: If the starter motor turns the engine, the starter cut relay is fine].

Last edited by RonJ; 09-06-2008 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:20 PM

when i turn the key the engin ecranks and turns, but does not start. no spark and no fuel pumping. ill check the fuses the first thing tommorrow morning. thanks.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Recognized HCF Member

By the way, the location of fuse 24 in the SRS fuse block of the under-dash fuse/relay box is shown below.

Name:  picture_1398.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  81.9 KB

Quick Reply: Please, Please, Help!! - Civic Won't start