Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Plug tube seal installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 02:01 PM
HCF Member
Default Plug tube seal installation

Well, i took the rubber seals that are in the valve cover, that seal around the spark plug tube. now, i am done cleaning and painting the valve cover. but it is next to imposable to get the new seals in. i have tried putting a socket that is the same diameter as the seals and either hammeringi them in, or pressign them in, but they always get a lil bit crooked, in the hole, and get stuck. i also tried heating the entire valce cover up in the oven.

Does anyone ahve any tricks on how to get them in? i am thinking about heating up the valve cover up in the oven for longer, the paint i used is good to 1200, but the clar coat is good to 500. i only heated it up a lil bit, and i know i can do a lil more, but how high can i go with out the seals melting once i put them in?

Old 06-17-2007, 06:22 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Plug tube seal installation

I wouldn't go too hot, it shouldn't take much heat for those to become more flexible. I would put them in at a low heat 200 deg something like that and check on them every 5 min.

When I put a new valve covergasket in a honda accord,the gasketcame with new rubber rings and what not for the valve cover. They didn't take that much to get in so I dunno why your haveing such a problem....you sure they are the right ones for your engine?

you could try a little lube like vasoline, it will burn off and probably smell overtime but that could help u out.

Old 06-18-2007, 03:11 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Plug tube seal installation

i heated up the valve cover with out the seals so the metal would expand, not heat the seals, although that might have worked. these arnt o rings tho, they are metal rings with rubber arround them. i did eventually get them in, i heeted up the valve cover so it would expand, and froze the seals so they would contractl. They were still really hard to put in, but i go them all in atleast most of the way. i will just have to wait and see if they seal correctly.