Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Power here, Power there, Crappy starts?...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 03:05 PM
HCF Member
Default Power here, Power there, Crappy starts?...

As my sig say a have a b16 in my ef hatch and have been having some trouble lately. The car takes about 10 seconds on straight cranking to get it to start. And it doesnt just start smoothly, it bogs and blurps then is starts and idles at 2000rpm. Once the car is warm though, the idle is fine, it sits at about 800-950.

Now, when i rip the car, SOMETIMES when i rip through first it makes this awful noise at 6800-7000 ish and it seems like a rev limiter kind of, almost like immediate loss in power.
Right now is works fine and i am able to do WOT perfectly. I have a feeling its timing, as i've had most things replaced (o2's, Brand new 2 1/4 inch piping custom exhaust, sparks, etc.).

Do you guys think that this is a timing issue? The start up really makes me feel like it is but i'm not sure. Thanks guys.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:31 PM
HCF Member

It could be a lot of things such as plugs, wires, ignitions, coils, fuel pump etc. If you think its the ignition timing, then you need to get a timing light. It should come with the instructions, but on most moderns cars, its done by the ECU.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:57 PM

EDIT: nevermind

Old 08-22-2008, 06:26 AM
Recognized HCF Member

On all Civics with a distributor, ignition timing is adjustable. Also check the cam timing.

I think it does have a rev limiter at 7200.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:10 AM
HCF Member

No, my motors redline is a little more than 8000rpm. Thats where the rev limiter comes in. This is the older generation of b16 as well, so i dont think the ignition timing is controlled by the ECU. How would you adjust the ignition timing on the distributer?

Old 08-22-2008, 09:38 AM
HCF Member

I dont CLEARLY remember, you should do this at a shop. But your supposed attach the timing light to the #1 plug. You have to the get the specs from a shop manual or emission tag or repair manual book. Point the light at the timing mark, losen the distributor, turn left or right to adjust it its appropriate timing. Then when your done, tighten the distributor.

Thats from what I know. You should ask your mechanic.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:11 AM
Recognized HCF Member

First in the OP's case you should verify the cam timing before adjusting the spark timing.

I think there is a FAQ on this. In a nutshell:

Locate the group of 3 notches in the rim of the crank accessory pulley. That's what you're shooting for. There is also a single notch 10 degrees away. Do not use this notch for spark timing. Apply paint to the notches if necessary so they are easier to see.

Warm up the engine and turn it off. Jumper the test plug near the ECU. Hook up the timing light to cylinder #1. Start the engine again. The Check Engine light should be on steady.

Aim the timing light at the mark. Should point to the center notch of the group of 3. Loosen the distributor bolts and rotate it to achieve this. Tighten the bolts and verify the setting is still correct.

Stop engine, disconnect light, remove test jumper.