Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

PROBLEM-won't go past 3k rpm

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 12:15 PM
HCF Member
Default PROBLEM-won't go past 3k rpm

tuesday afternoon, my 96 civic hatch dx had a slight trouble starting and drove pretty ****ty, it wouldn't rev past 3k rpm and had very little power. it still drove so i just ignored it. when i started it again later, it was fine, and fine again later that night.

next morning, it started and drove fine again to school. then after school, it started like **** again and would barely even idle this time. when i rev to about 3k, the engine just wouldn't go any faster and it would start popping. i was at autotech class so i showed my teachers and they said that it sounded like i was outta gas, but i just got a full tank tuesday morning so i did a fuel pressure test to check the fuel pump and the pressure was fine. so we (me and the auto tech teachers) took a sample of the gas out from the fuel line and it looked really clear, kinda like water with only a very very light tint of yellow. my teacher guessed that a lot of water got into my gas tank somehow so he told me and i did put two bottles of Iso-Heet into my tank, which is supposed to separate and control the water in the gasoline. after i did this, and waited a few minutes, and car wouldn't even start, it just kept on cranking and showed no sign of wanting to start (i did try jumping it). so i had no choice but to leave the car there for the night.

Friday morning, back at school, it started just fine again, WHAT THE ****. it revved fine but in only about a minute or so it started bogging at 3k again. i was able to drive it back home shifting at about 2600, which is normal for me, but it also barely has any power.

so the question is: WHAT'S THE PROBLEM???

i guess i could have gotten a bad batch of gasoline (i get gas from costco) but then why does it run fine sometimes and run like **** most of the time. my brother guessed that it might have a clog, like in the air intake or exhaust system, but if it was this then i would think that the problem should be consistent right? my teacher thought that it might be a timing belt slip, but then that should be really consisted too. HELP ME PLEASE

Old 02-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: PROBLEM-won't go past 3k rpm

Is the CEL ON?

Sounds like a clogged fuel filter. Also, have you checked the engine timing? How old is the timing belt?

Old 02-08-2008, 01:14 PM
HCF Member

If it starts when the engine is cold, but runs ragged after warmup, I would first check the O2 sensor, even if the CEL is not lit up. If you are not the first owner someone may have disabled it.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:58 PM
HCF Member

what do you know, after i got it home and let it sit over the weekend, i came back on monday and tried starting it. it started fine, and ran fine, and has been good all week. i don't know what the problem was, but alls well i guess

thankz guys

Old 10-28-2019, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by theblackpearl
tuesday afternoon, my 96 civic hatch dx had a slight trouble starting and drove pretty ****ty, it wouldn't rev past 3k rpm and had very little power. it still drove so i just ignored it. when i started it again later, it was fine, and fine again later that night.

next morning, it started and drove fine again to school. then after school, it started like **** again and would barely even idle this time. when i rev to about 3k, the engine just wouldn't go any faster and it would start popping. i was at autotech class so i showed my teachers and they said that it sounded like i was outta gas, but i just got a full tank tuesday morning so i did a fuel pressure test to check the fuel pump and the pressure was fine. so we (me and the auto tech teachers) took a sample of the gas out from the fuel line and it looked really clear, kinda like water with only a very very light tint of yellow. my teacher guessed that a lot of water got into my gas tank somehow so he told me and i did put two bottles of Iso-Heet into my tank, which is supposed to separate and control the water in the gasoline. after i did this, and waited a few minutes, and car wouldn't even start, it just kept on cranking and showed no sign of wanting to start (i did try jumping it). so i had no choice but to leave the car there for the night.

Friday morning, back at school, it started just fine again, WHAT THE ****. it revved fine but in only about a minute or so it started bogging at 3k again. i was able to drive it back home shifting at about 2600, which is normal for me, but it also barely has any power.

so the question is: WHAT'S THE PROBLEM???

i guess i could have gotten a bad batch of gasoline (i get gas from costco) but then why does it run fine sometimes and run like **** most of the time. my brother guessed that it might have a clog, like in the air intake or exhaust system, but if it was this then i would think that the problem should be consistent right? my teacher thought that it might be a timing belt slip, but then that should be really consisted too. HELP ME PLEASE

faulty crankshaft position sensor. Had the same issue with my 99 Honda Civic ex.

Old 10-29-2019, 12:37 AM
Cat Fuсker

And you're replying to an 11 year old thread why exactly?

Old 10-29-2019, 02:56 PM

Phew. I've had this persistent issue for the past 11 years. So happy to finally figure out what was wrong.