Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Puzzling Electrical Gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 06:26 PM
Default Puzzling Electrical Gremlins

Hopeing to find some help here We have an 89 crx (dx) with some strange electrical problems. I'm not sure if it's just one or a whole host of problems...

Problem 1: Headlights go dim and bright at night very randomly. - We're going to try cleaning the grounds first otherwise replace the alternator. The heater fans speed up when the light goes bright too

Problem 2: This is the weird one, the seatbelt light and clock flash continuously at what appears to be a steady speed however they don't both flash at the same time, the seatbelt and clockflash out of sync with each other. What could cause this?

Problem 3: Clock reset's to 1:00 every time we shut the car off... (minor minor issue)

Any chance that these are all related? Any suggestions on what is caushing which problems?

The GF swears it all happend one day when she was fiddling with the lighter plugging in a cell phone. When she yanked the cell phone charger out the whole lighter assembly flew out with it...

Old 08-12-2008, 06:37 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by Tobyz28
Problem 1: Headlights go dim and bright at night very randomly. - We're going to try cleaning the grounds first otherwise replace the alternator. The heater fans speed up when the light goes bright too
Solving this problem may fix the others. The alternator is likely bad. Before you replace, however, check whether the alternator belt is loose or slipping (glazed or oil contaminated). In addition, also go ahead and clean the battery connectors and terminals, as well as the battery ground wire attached to the engine bay frame.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:29 PM

Thanks for the the info I have heard there is a ground for the headlights too - where abouts would I find it? Just connected to the headlight?

Old 08-12-2008, 08:37 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Given the fluctuation in heater fan speed and other electrical problems, I don't think a loose headlight ground is a likely cause for your problems.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:16 AM
HCF Member

I concur with RonJ's analysis. mine did the exact same thing for yrs until my alt got so bad, it no longer charged the battery. don't wait that long. what you can do is take out the alt and have it bench tested at an auto parts store. they do this for free.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:24 PM
HCF Member

It's a CRX, it a cousin of the Gremlim. Even kinda looks like it.