Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about Ignition Timing

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 08:31 PM
HCF Member
Default Questions about Ignition Timing

So I read this thread: https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=16210

The picture with the timing belt pulley is a little confusing to me. I didn't see where the timing light was hooked up. Is cylinder #1 the one closest to the driverside? Also, how do I remove the timing belt cover? (yes I´m sure I just unscrew it)

I think my biggest question what does the timing light actually do and how do I use it? Do I check it with the car running?

Thanks!

Old 09-26-2010, 09:27 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The marks are on the crank pulley at the bottom of the engine. It's on the outside, you do not need to take anything apart.

To use the timing light connect the battery clips to the battery (red to +, black to -) and the other clip on the spark plug #1 wire, which is the one closest to the pulley (furthest from distributor). Place test jumper in place and start engine (which must be already warmed up). When you pull the trigger on the timing light, it will flash in time with the engine. Point the light at the marks on the pulley. The flashing light will make it appear to be standing still and you can see the marks even though it is actually turning. Then adjust the distributor position to line up on the center mark in the group of three.