Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rain killing engine performance?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 01:23 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Rain killing engine performance?

But why the rape in gas milage?

Old 07-27-2006, 05:34 PM

CAI and watter, if you dip it in a puddle you will get a Hydro lock, IE watter does not compress very well, and think of how much Air is bieng sucked into the intake, if the CAI filter is mounted to close to the ground in a wet climet it can be very bad, 1 pot hole at 30 or so and youll be lucky not to need a new motor, you could make a deflector to keep the intake from sucing in the watter off the trim, My CAI on my sidekick gets routed to a snorkel when i go off road, and pulls air in from just below the headlight when it is connected, but it has much more ground clearance then a civic,

what is causeing the change in preformance and milage is watter in the combustion chamber, throwing off the fuel to air ratio and the atamozation of the fuel in the air "what happens just befor ignition" because watter atomizes at much higher compression than fuel

water takes up room in the comp chamber that should be filled with air, only the ECU knows no diffrent and pumps in the same amountof fuel making the motor run to rich.

i would shorten the intake or purchase a bypass valve that sits in between the air filter and the TB and reduces if not eliminates the amount of watter bieng pulled in.

long winded i know, but i know the CAI dangers, and any one running one should.

Old 07-27-2006, 07:35 PM
HCF Member

I understand this concept greatly, hence the reason I have a SRI instead of a CAI.. especially because the climate I am in (especially lately) has been really rainy, and during the winter is really snowy...

I wonder if some how there is a lot of water getting into the engine bay and into my SRI, or worse other parts of my engine.. [:@]

Old 11-06-2006, 06:28 PM
HCF Member

Hey Khanselman... are you still having problems with your intake in rain? I have had problems with EVERYTHING i've done to my car... SRI by injen sucked... I now have a Simota CAI and it did the same thing until I put a bypass valve on it... I chopped a hunk out of the intake and put the valve in between... In portland we're having the biggest storm of the year and I am driving like a duck in water now... it is geat... the thing I really dont like is the fact that the CAI i have just sits behind the radiator fan in the middle of the engine bay! I need to get it moved in front of a tire or something but there just isnt space made in my 7th gen!!! FRUSTRATION!!!