Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

rattle and vibrating shifter

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 12:45 PM
Default RE: rattle and vibrating shifter

car websites under the transmission section

nopi.com
ptuning.com
jcwhitney.com
ebay.com

try some of those they should have them

Old 10-20-2005, 05:29 PM
HCF Member

alright thanks

Old 10-23-2005, 04:39 PM
HCF Member

Would replacing this bushing (See below) with a poly one really have any effect on shifter feel or anything or should I just grab a rubber one? Basically, is there going to be any kid of difference?

Old 10-23-2005, 04:56 PM
HCF Member

that bushing makes a huge difference when you change it to poly. its well worth it. and chances are that the rattles you guys are having (if its not just something loose) is from the aftermarket short throw shifter having a longer arm underneath the pivot point (longer arm on the working end makes the control end move less to shift) and its too low to clear your exhaust. its not an easy fix, but its also usually not much of an interference, so a couple of mm of clearance should do it. try bending your exhaust hangers a little so that the exhaust hangs lower.

Old 10-23-2005, 07:10 PM
HCF Member

but i looked and its not touching. its close but not touching. so should i just get the bushings?

Old 10-24-2005, 07:49 PM
HCF Member

Everything is tightened up in there, and it's definitely not hitting the exhaust. I had to cut the weight looking things off the bottom of where the linkage connects to the shift lever so it would clear, but it's definitely not hitting. I think it has to be that bushing being loose as hell, is that even a possability, Sacs?

I'm just going to get a poly bushing for that and the bottom of the shift lever to tighten it up anyways. Hopefully that'll help it out, I'll post up the results, adelleda.

Old 10-24-2005, 09:37 PM
HCF Member

that sounds good.

Old 10-24-2005, 09:43 PM
HCF Member

well ive been searching for the bushings and couldnt find any on ebay. do they have to be specifically for a 1999 civic or is it more of a 'universal fit'? ill probably just end up going to a transmision shop or a tuner shop.

Old 10-24-2005, 10:16 PM
HCF Member

I'm betting it'd be the same as any D series engine/tranny. Ask a parts store for a part number or something. Anyone have an ideas on how to get ahold of them?

Here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ENERG...spagenameZWDVW

Old 11-12-2005, 05:04 PM
HCF Member
Default problem solved

Yep, those bushings definitely help a positive shift feel. It's awesome. Definitely recomoned these to everyone.

After installing them and doing some pounding though it still seemed to make the noise so, we yanked the bushing out of the end of the shift rod, cleaned it up, lubed it up and stuck back in, no more ratteling.

Quick Reply: rattle and vibrating shifter