Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Rear toe question

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 06:55 PM
HCF Member
Default Rear toe question

So i tore apart the rear of my car(99 EX) earlier to replace the rear suspension. Installing new struts, upper and lower control arms, ebarke cables, and trailing arm bushings. I couldnt get the bolt out that held the trailing arm to the other arm for the toe adjusment?? So i had to leave it on the car, both bolts on each side wouldnt move and i didnt want to risk breaking them off. So i had to take them off at the trailing arms ( might be able to see in the pic). This will make my toe off when i put it all back together? Im not going to get it aligned right away because the tires are junk and in 2 weeks or so i am replacing the front end so i want to wait. How much will this matter when re installing the trailing arms?

Attached Thumbnails Rear toe question-img_1440.jpg   Rear toe question-img_1438.jpg  

Last edited by dkyer420; 12-19-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:37 PM

It is a general rule to always get an alignment after you touch anything suspension related. That's is what I have always sworn by. I bought a lifetime alignment plan for like $150 back when i first got my current 99 Civic, almost 5 years ago. Probably the best investment I ever did.

Anyways, if you have removed the trailing arms and all the rear suspension pieces. I am sure your toe will be off.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:12 PM

Yeah your alignment will be out and you'll get some bad tire wear. But you said the tires are junk so it's not a big loss I suppose. You will need to get an alignment done once you've completed all of you suspension work. This will mean who ever does your alignment will have to deal with loosening up those bolts without breaking them. To help them out, soak the bolts with some penetrating oil before you get the alignment done.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:42 AM
HCF Member

I have all the bolts out except for the bolt that holds the arm for the toe to the undercarrige. I have soaked it with PB, have heated it, and it still wont budge. I have a 3/4 breaker bar and it wont budge, im afraid if i try any more im going to snap the head off. Does this bolt need to be loosened to do an alignment? I thought that the adjustment was made at the trailing arms?

Old 12-20-2011, 06:38 AM

Yes that bolt is used to make the toe adjustment. You might be able to see where that bolt is going into has a slot. If you were able to loosen that bolt, you could move the trailing arm and you would see the leading edge of the tire move inwards and outwards from the car.

If you have access to either an air or electric impact gun, use it. Best tool to use to get frozen bolts out without breaking them.