Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Repair cracked front bumper cover?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 07:01 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default Repair cracked front bumper cover?

My front bumper cover has a 15"-long clean crack along the top (see picture). My first thought was to replace the damaged bumper cover with a new or used one, but I am wondering whether there may be other options. For example, could the crack be repaired by gluing it? If so, what type of glue is best? Any other ideas? Thanks.

Name:  P1010004.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  78.4 KB

Last edited by RonJ; 08-26-2008 at 07:05 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:28 AM
HCF Member

"SEM Products" makes a line of plastic repair glues and fillers.
I think they have one for your type of repair.
I have had good luck with some of their other plastic repair products.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:44 AM
Recognized HCF Member

DANG that split looks kinda large...
i would replace the whole thing eventualy..

but for now you could always just pull the bumper cover off the car use some 40-80grit sandpaper and ruff the back side of the crack up really ruff and get some tape over the front of the crack while holding the crack together best you can and use some 5 minute epoxy mix it up and put it all over the back of the cover all around the cracked area. youd want it about an inch past the cracked areas to help spread out the grip, just apply the epoxy and sit there and hold the cover together straight down so the epoxy doesnt run off and just wait 5-10mins and then just let go and pull the tape off the front of the crack, that tape will keep the epoxy from running out the front. then it should just look like you have a hairline crack or scratch on the bumper probably. its your quickest easiest temp fix until you replace the whole thing..... the bumper cover is actually pretty cheap, its painting it that cost more money.LOL

Old 08-26-2008, 06:08 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Thanks for the replies and tips.

"SEM Products" makes a line of plastic repair glues and fillers.
I think they have one for your type of repair.
I have had good luck with some of their other plastic repair products.
I'll look into glues from SEM Products.

but for now you could always just pull the bumper cover off the car use some 40-80grit sandpaper and ruff the back side of the crack up really ruff and get some tape over the front of the crack while holding the crack together best you can and use some 5 minute epoxy mix it up and put it all over the back of the cover all around the cracked area. youd want it about an inch past the cracked areas to help spread out the grip, just apply the epoxy and sit there and hold the cover together straight down so the epoxy doesnt run off and just wait 5-10mins and then just let go and pull the tape off the front of the crack, that tape will keep the epoxy from running out the front. then it should just look like you have a hairline crack or scratch on the bumper probably. its your quickest easiest temp fix until you replace the whole thing
That's a really good idea. Is there a specific brand of epoxy glue you'd recommend? Will the epoxy produce a very strong bond on bumper cover plastic?

the bumper cover is actually pretty cheap, its painting it that cost more money.LOL
Yeah, a new unpainted bumper cover costs only about a $120. I had not yet priced the cost of painting. Do you have an estimate? I tried looking for a used green bumper on Craigslist but got no replies. Any other ideas?

Old 08-26-2008, 08:14 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ive used it on plastics before just fine. i just used the little tube ones thats kinda like a surenge. the 2 part clear stuff. im not sure if the plastic 2part epoxy would be better or not. you could try it first but i dont think its clear, so if it does ozze thru the front it could be visable.
with ruffing up the plastic cover that gives the epoxy enough area something to really bite onto good.
worst thing that could happen is the epoxy break loose.... just give the glue enough time to fully harden before you move the bumper and you should be good

Old 08-26-2008, 09:19 AM
HCF Member

How did you get the crack?

Old 08-26-2008, 01:29 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by Apostle
How did you get the crack?
I recently purchased this 2000 Civic EX, and it already had the crack in the bumper cover. The previous owner did not share with me how the bumper got cracked.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:31 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by addiction2bass
ive used it on plastics before just fine. i just used the little tube ones thats kinda like a surenge. the 2 part clear stuff. im not sure if the plastic 2part epoxy would be better or not. you could try it first but i dont think its clear, so if it does ozze thru the front it could be visable. with ruffing up the plastic cover that gives the epoxy enough area something to really bite onto good. worst thing that could happen is the epoxy break loose.... just give the glue enough time to fully harden before you move the bumper and you should be good
Addiction, thanks for the very helpful information.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:31 PM
Recognized HCF Member

most likely someone used the bumper as a step either there whole foot or there knees when working on the car.

no problem. ive had plenty of ghettofied hondas already.LOL i can do some temp fixes.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:12 PM
HCF Member

addictions idea will work both ways if u don't plan on painting it for a while u could do it from behind like he suggested. You could also do if from the front side and then sand the epoxy smooth, but then you would need to get the bumber painted.