Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Replaced starter today OIL EVERYWHERE

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 03:39 PM
Default Replaced starter today OIL EVERYWHERE

Hey guys I drive a 1993 civic dx automatic 1.5 L I replaced my starter today, started the car to make sure it worked (obviously) reved the car (not high and for a second or less) and oil went EVERYWHERE it was coming from under the car, shot all over everything. I’m no mechanic but that is not good. Any ideas? Suggestions? Could the starter replacement be related at all? Open for any ideas or suggestions. Also the car is fully stock as well it’s in great shape and has been taken care of. Thanks for any feedback

Old 02-24-2018, 06:47 AM

Starter replacement would have nothing to do with this unless you removed something in order to access the starter and never put it back on. Something else is going on with the car if I had to guess. Clean it up and try to find the source of the leak. If it's as bad as you say, the leak should be relatively easy to find.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:51 PM
Default Can anyone tell

Old 02-24-2018, 12:52 PM

^^^^^ turns out it wasn’t oil going everywhere it was transmission fluid. The culprit is the photo above so Can anyone tell me what this is called? It has a hole in it so it needs to be replaced but I’m not sure the proper name of it to order it. Thanks

Last edited by Eastcoastoverdose; 02-24-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:35 PM

I don't know the name of it but its probably something like a transmission oil line going to or from the the cooler. Don't drive the car without trans fluid obviously. You'll overheat/ruin the trans pretty quickly, or the car just won't move. I have limited experience with automatic vehicles to be honest. Glad to hear that you were able to find the source however. Now, fix it and get the car back on the road!

Old 02-24-2018, 02:44 PM

Thanks for the reply definitely not driving, the amount of fluid that came out was astonishing considering the hole is about the size of a pen tip. So far I’ve found that it is most likely transmission cooling line as you said. Like you I’m not too familiar with automatics I try to avoid them but I got a great buy on this vehicle and it’s been great until the starter now this. I’m still searching around for the part then hopefully she’ll be ready to roll!

Old 03-29-2018, 04:21 PM
HCF Member

My suggestion would be to remove the tube and clean it up. Then find someone who can TIG weld the hole. The tube will be good as new and won't cost you much to have welded compared to a new tube. Good luck.
Duane

Old 03-29-2018, 04:33 PM
Default Thanks for the reply

Thanks for the reply Duane I was able to use JB weld, still didn’t fix the issue. I then removed the pipe and it it had quite a bit of rust so I actually ended up getting a replacement from the junkyard ($19 not too bad) cleaned it up and it was in great shape. The banjo bolt was slightly stripped and washers were actually warped as well so I’ve got the banjo bolt on order. I’ll post an update when everything is reassembled. PS if anyone has the B15B7, finding the actual transmission cooler line pipe is a NIGHTMARE! I just happened to luck up with the find.