Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Replacing O2 sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 01:24 PM
Question Replacing O2 sensor

I have a 98 Civic 4D LX automatic with a bad O2 sensor connected to the manifold. (This was the diagnosis of two different auto part stores after the engine light came on, and it seems to make sense since the car is running fine but not as smoothly as usual.) I've done a number of DYI minor repairs to my car over the years, but I'm not particularly knowledgeable and so am looking for the following advice:

1. Is 36531-P2E-A01 the right part number? I believe it is based on on-line research (can't see a number on the part itself). I'm concerned, though, because one of the clerks told me that I need to get a sensor that is "compatible with California emissions" and pointed to a sticker under my hood which referenced California standards but said little. I haven't seen any reference to this in my search for the part number.

2. What is the right brand to buy? I see Bosch and NGK listed, but since I never shop for auto parts, I really don't know what brand to shop for -- especially since the prices are all over the map. (And if this forum allows it, I would welcome advice on where to buy.)

3. Is this a DIY repair? Looks like it, but I'm not sure -- and I'm guessing I need a special tool for this if I try it.

Greatly appreciate any and all advice. Thanks!

Old 06-26-2010, 01:45 PM
HCF Member

I did an02 sensor replacement on my 97 about 2 years ago, and purchaced a Bosch brand replacement.

Since my car is a Canadian model, I can't answer your question about California-specific parts or not - however I would think the O2 sensors would be the same part number for all models. I could be wrong on this

As far as changing the part, first of all DO IT WHEN YOU CAR IS COLD. Unless you like burning your fingers, but that's just not my cup of tea.

You will need either a specific socket (called an 02 sensor socket) or a wrench and patience. Since I didn't want to buy the socket I used the wrench method, but its not the best way.

Disconnect the battery before you start.

Simply follow the wires from the sensor to the harness and unclip it. Remove the heat sheild from your manifold and set it out of the way. put you wrench (or 02 sensor socket and ratchet) on the sensor and loosen it a bit. Spin it out with your fingers. Threat the new one in carefully, and snug it up again. Replace the heat shield, and then reconnect the harness. Make sure the wires won't touch the fans or the exhaust manifold, tie them out of the way if you need to

Reconnect the battery and start the car. Just let it idle for 10 minutes or so. Don't blip the throttle, Rev it or anything. Just let it idle. This allows the computer to re-learn the maps for the new o2 sensor.