Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotor removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 04:26 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Rotor removal

I drilled them out. Went and pick up 7 extra screws and the picknpull. All but 1 of them came out easy. And yes the #3 Philips worked great on a ratchet, Thanks!

Old 07-28-2008, 06:45 PM
HCF Member

One other question, How do you get the lug bolts off. I can beat them back but the actual hub needs to come off. I Got the axle nut loose and pushed it back about 3 inch's. Can I wiggle the hell out of it to get the hub to come off?

Old 07-29-2008, 11:44 AM
HCF Member

Do you mean the studs?

Old 07-29-2008, 11:49 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: subnet76

One other question, How do you get the lug bolts off. I can beat them back but the actual hub needs to come off. I Got the axle nut loose and pushed it back about 3 inch's. Can I wiggle the hell out of it to get the hub to come off?
Did you separate the ball joint?

Old 07-29-2008, 11:59 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You need to take the steering knuckle / hub assembly off of the car (take apart both ball joints, and remove the tie rod end), and have the hub pressed apart at a shop with a press. Trying to hammer it apart will ruin the bearing.

Some people have replaced lug studs by grinding part of the back off so they will fit in with the hub still in place, but that is not official procedure.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:37 PM
HCF Member

I did not remove them. And yes i did mean the studs. Thanks for the advice I keep you up to date on what all I do.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:15 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by subnet76
I did not remove them. And yes i did mean the studs. Thanks for the advice I keep you up to date on what all I do.
Ok finished with no problems. A quick rundown.

Remove lug nuts.
Remove 2 screws holding on the rotor.
Knock out the dimple in the Axle bolt.
(Take a Screw driver and put it in the rotor and let it rest on the brake bracket.)
Take a 23mm wrench and break the nut loose. Take it off.
Now remove brakes and bracket.
Remove rotor.
Now remove The top castle nut up on the upper Control arm from the ball joint.
Then remove the Castle nut from the Pitman Arm/Control arm/Steering arm.(Which ever you call it. These are what usually goes bad. Be careful Both of mine were ripped open. I paid 33 a piece,for new ones.
Now remove your lower strut bolt.
Now you can smack the upper ball joint to make it pop out. A good solid hit should make it pop out. Be careful not to bend up the threads. When you get this out It will swivel around and you should be able to get the axle out (With a flat head screw driver, pry the axle by the tranny and it will pop out very easy A small clip holds it in.
(be careful with your ABS lines. You may need to remove it. Very easy 2 screws holding the bracket to the arm and 2 screws holing it to the abs on the axle. When putting in the axle, Make Sure You give a good hard push to make the axle seat in the tranny. Then put it back together. Took me about 5 hours Not including down time for Bearings to be pressed in. This also includes the learning curve.

Also I DO NOT recommend grinding your hub down to get lug bolts to fit. Its not worth it! Spend the extra bucks and get it done right. Your could end up with a bigger mess that what you started with.

Final words, Very easy, Yes you can do it