Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

S.O.S my 89 civic wagovan loosing power while driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 11:42 AM
Default S.O.S my 89 civic wagovan loosing power while driving

I need help trying to figure out what is wrong with my 1989 civic 2 wheel drive wagovan with roughly 165,000 Miles on it.

There has been 3 different occasions where I will be driving normally fine no issues and then, the car will not want to catch power when I step on the gas to accelerate so it will just rev the engine, after that the car starts loosing power where it is almost to the point where it feels like it just chugging along struggling to go, at which point I pulled over each time. As i'm pulling over the brakes will seize up and the power steering will shut off.

After I pull over I leave the car sitting and I have always been able to go back to my car a few hours later and turn the car on and drive it back to my house with no problems. Since the last time this has happened I have not been been driving it for fear of ruing the engine or something important.
The first time this happened to me it was damn hot outside in Tuc, Arizona the 2nd and 3rd time happened when it cooler out around 75-80 F
So I am not sure what could wrong.

I have talked to a few different people and they all have told me it sounds like the fuel pump or fuel filter could be going out. My dad wants me to buy the the timing chain and water pump. but I know something else is wrong too.