Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short grinding noise after car start

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 05:49 PM
Default Short grinding noise after car start

I bought a 2004 Civic recently, automatic. I just noticed this noise the other day. It only happens after I start the engine, and let go of the break or step on the gas. After the car moves a few meters I hear a really short (half a second) grinding noise. It's not loud, hardly noticeable over the sound of the engine revving up, but it's there. Once the car is going, I don't ever hear it again. When I stop at red lights, put it on park then back to drive, or anything else, the noise isn't there, only after the engine is turned off and started again. This happens both in reverse or drive, but only once (ie if I start the car and reverse, I will hear the noise, then I will switch to drive and I won't hear it anymore).

I'm not even sure I can really call it a grinding. Maybe a cranking or winding noise.

I've had a few people tell me it's my breaks making noise because of rust buildup, when the car rolls forward before I let go of the breaks, but that's not it. I can hear the breaks as well and it's a completely different sound.

The sound I'm talking about happens once and only once when the car starts moving after I turned on the engine. I can turn on the engine, roll the car forward a few meters and I'll hear the noise. Turn off the engine, turn it on again 10 seconds later, and again it will grind after a few meters, but then never again during the whole trip.

Is this something to worry about?

Old 06-13-2008, 03:00 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Short grinding noise after car start

If it only happens after you start the car, I would suspect the starter is not fully disengaging. When you put the car in gear,and rev, it may be pushing the starter gear back out of the way. Easy enough to pull the starter and check the gear for wear. You might want to have a friend drive the car for the few meters that you need, with the hood up, possibly walk along with the car, to isolate the sound.

Dave

Old 06-14-2008, 04:05 PM
Default RE: Short grinding noise after car start

I took it to a Honda mechanic yesterday and they told me it was the abs system pressurizing or initializing and that it's normal for Hondas. Guess I was worried for nothing, but it's good to know. Thanks anyway.