Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Should AT fluid be green for 2001 civic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 03:15 PM
HCF Member
Default Should AT fluid be green for 2001 civic?

Thats what my mech said. He said Mercon is the right stuff, but its only the base- one needs to add the additive that Honda recomends- thats green stuff.

Maybe thats why my tranny quit?? I feel like I neglected to take care of my car by not adding the green elixir. Comments appreciated, as I have to learn still........

Oh, not that the trannys fixed, I want to prevent it from busting again. Whats the best stuf to use next year when I drain the fluid?

Old 07-21-2012, 10:48 PM
HCF Member
Smile

Originally Posted by pippo
Thats what my mech said. He said Mercon is the right stuff, but its only the base- one needs to add the additive that Honda recomends- thats green stuff.

Maybe thats why my tranny quit?? I feel like I neglected to take care of my car by not adding the green elixir. Comments appreciated, as I have to learn still........

Oh, not that the trannys fixed, I want to prevent it from busting again. Whats the best stuf to use next year when I drain the fluid?
Anytime I have questions about things like this I always refer to the owners manual. If you don't have one buy one it is the best money you can spend. I'm a retired mechanic & I use my owners manuals several times in finding out these questions. If you live where there is a Honda Dealership go ask the Parts Dept.
I don't know the answer I would have to do exactly what I told you. I use the manual on my 90 Honda Civic all the time.