Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sign of Fuel Pump failing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 04:02 PM
HCF Member
Question Sign of Fuel Pump failing?

Got a 92 Civic LX automatic with 187,000 miles.

Every single time I wanna start my Civic what I do is turn the key twice(1 of the accessories & 2 to cycle the fuel pump). Yesterday as I was getting ready to start my Civic, I cycled the fuel pump for 2 seconds and the fuel cycle went off(which is normal), BUT right after the cycle went off there was this odd tone from the fuel pump..it sounded like a frog dying(sound tone going down) & lasted about 4 seconds.
I tried to repeat the sound but it wouldn't do it again.

THEN today I started my car (cycling the fuel pump again) and it made that sound again. I primed it 2 more times & it repeated. But later in the day it went away.

Is this a sign that my fuel pump is going bad? Maybe the motor in the fuel pump? I thought the only sign that your fuel pump is going bad is if it doesn't work at all. But mine does..but just with that odd dying frog sound.

BTW I have no starting or stalling issues at all.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:23 PM
HCF Member

this is the same problem i had before my pump went out.. then it started backfiring and just eventually kicked.. no gas was the culprit.. change the bish out before you get left stranded brah.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:46 PM
HCF Member

Hope you right on that..Cost $140 at Autozone for a new Fuel Pump. I could wait & get one from the junk yard but those cars been sitting there for who knows how long and I don't have time to get one(Leaving 3am Sat for flight to Cali with my car parked at the departing airport).
So it's either wait to save money & hope my car starts up in the airport parking lot again when I come back from Cali(6 days later) or Get it new tomorrow & install that sucker before I go.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:56 PM
HCF Member

Ok..I have another problem....

I brought a new fuel pump from Autozone & installed it by the book. It didn't prime when I turned the key to the 2nd click. So...I put the old fuel pump back in(it's still working but has signs of going out)..and that pump didn't prime either. My relay checked out good btw. I really really hope it's not the grounding wires that are around the fuel pump. I'm thinking it's the fuses.
Also I seem to have lost my testing light & I don't have a voltage meter...I don't know what to do next because I have a flight in about 8 hours & was hoping to drive to the airport in my civic after a simple fuel pump replacement...now I have this problem!

Can anyone help?! Please!

Old 11-12-2010, 06:07 PM
HCF Member

Nevermind...thanks to the power of the internet and RonJ(at this thread link -https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56960),
I found the problem....it was fuse #24 under the dash. I was searching & troubleshooting for 3-4 hours..and it was a simple fuse...which was the last thing I checked.

I feel so mad & happy at the same time...

Old 11-12-2010, 06:12 PM
HCF Member

Check:
Ecu fuse
ECU
Main Relay
Fuel Pump connections.

Find a ride to Autozone< or any auto store> and buy a cheap multimeter. Make sure you are getting power to the pump, and that you do have ground.
I know it sucks, but your going to have to do it.
And a serious tip - get a buddy to take you to the airport. Or a airport taxi, if your town has one. Oklahoma City has them and they are super cheap.