Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Sitting for a year no start

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 09:51 PM
HCF Member
Default Sitting for a year no start

So i just bought a 98 ex from a guy in the air force and he has had it sitting there for a year he said when he came back it just wouldnt turn over so today i finally got it towed here i put in a new battery and i turn on the accessories id like to believe it was the fuel pump turning on and when i turned it over it tryed something but no spark so people say i need to siphon the old gas out do i need a new fuel pump or fuel filter oil spark plugs ect also how often should i change the tranny fluid? also its turbo and the guy said it was tuned on 7 psi do i need to do any for that? any help is appreciated thanks heres some pic btw

Attached Thumbnails Sitting for a year no start-1.jpg   Sitting for a year no start-3.jpg  
Old 12-10-2010, 10:11 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Did you check for actual spark at the plug wires? No spark means there's a problem unrelated to the fuel system-- no power to distributor and/or ECU, rotor screw fell out, stripped timing belt, bad coil, ICM or ECU, etc. One hint here is never believe anything the seller tells you about a used car.

If all systems check out normal but it doesn't start, stale gas can do that. Drain and replace it. It's hard to get it all out by siphoning. Use the drain plug, (I think a '98 has one) or disconnect one of the hoses under the hood, divert into a container, and jump the fuel pump to stay on.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:50 AM
HCF Member

no i was by myself so i couldnt check the actuall spark i have a buddy coming over today who should be able to help with that. Also heres a pic of the underneath is that bolt the drain plug?

Attached Thumbnails Sitting for a year no start-dsc02772.jpg  
Old 12-11-2010, 09:14 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Yes it has a metal gasket similar to the drain on a steel oil pan. You should use a new gasket when putting it back but not absolutely essential. Also like an oil pan, don't overtighten it, and check for leaks.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:36 PM
HCF Member

Okay so there is spark and the fuel pump is turning on, i drained all the old gas and put in new gas flushed all old coolant and replaced it. Drained the oil and am about to get some to replace it. when i turned it over the belts moved and there was spark and it was like it was trying really hard to turn on but it just whined out? What do you think?

Old 12-11-2010, 01:58 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You're trying to start it with no oil? Obviously put oil in it before you do anything else.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:24 PM
HCF Member

No lol that was before i drained the old oil. so i got the new oil filter and oil and a fuel filter however the old oil filter doesnt wanna come off ive tried many ways to get it off but it wont budge any ideas?

Old 12-12-2010, 03:37 AM
HCF Member

oil filter wrench, Strap wrench, WD-40, PB blaster. let some of the wd or blaster sit around the edges for 15 minutes or so and wipe off excess to get good grip and go to town on it. Ive heard of people some how popping a screwdrive in the cap of the oil filter to get it off but im not sure how thats done. May be worth looking into to see if thats legit. Hope this may help ya

Old 12-12-2010, 07:52 AM
HCF Member

It was on other application but I had to use two oil filter wrenches and two hands one time. Using screw driver technique is do-able if the filter mount diameter is smaller than oil filter base diameter, otherwise oil filter mount on the block will likely be damaged.

Do you have compression on the engine?

Old 12-12-2010, 10:12 AM
HCF Member

Thanks playa yeah i stabbed a screw driver through and was using rope for leverage but it just bust the filter. Maachan idk? how do i check?

Quick Reply: Sitting for a year no start