Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Slight "bucking" upon acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 08:08 PM
Default Slight "bucking" upon acceleration

I have a 2005 Civic LX sedan and i noticed today as I was accelerating, the car bucked about twice then continued to accelerate. The best way I could describe it was it was as if the car went into neutral for a split second and then back into drive (i have an auto transmission), and it revved down when this happened for a second or so (kinda like if there was a gap or something). Then the check engine light came on, and it's continually on now. This happened about 3 to 4 times, particularly on the highway or going up a hill accelerating, etc. The car idles at about 800 RPM, not sure if that's the normal idle.

I was thinking maybe a belt, a mechanic I called said since it's been raining a lot recently there could be a gap and the moisture is affecting it (manifold issue?). Has this happened to anyone before or raise any red flags? Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:36 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by JDel646
I have a 2005 Civic LX sedan and i noticed today as I was accelerating, the car bucked about twice then continued to accelerate. The best way I could describe it was it was as if the car went into neutral for a split second and then back into drive (i have an auto transmission), and it revved down when this happened for a second or so (kinda like if there was a gap or something). Then the check engine light came on, and it's continually on now. This happened about 3 to 4 times, particularly on the highway or going up a hill accelerating, etc. The car idles at about 800 RPM, not sure if that's the normal idle.

I was thinking maybe a belt, a mechanic I called said since it's been raining a lot recently there could be a gap and the moisture is affecting it (manifold issue?). Has this happened to anyone before or raise any red flags? Thanks in advance for the help.
see what that check engine light is about. i think some auto parts stores will diagnose it for free.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:13 PM

i got it diagnosed free at autozone, they said it was a camshaft sensor, had it checked at a mechanic, who told me it was the whole timing belt that was causing that and needed to be replaced. now gotta see what my best option is...

Old 01-20-2012, 09:37 AM

To update, supposedly my timing belt needed to be replaced, the spring was bad and so were the pullies, and there was some slack with the timing belt, the mechanic looking at it didn't even want to start it and didn't think it could make it down the street because it could slip and damage the whole engine.

I was going to have a mechanic related to the dealer I got it from check it out, but it was an hour ride out in NJ, and I didn't want to chance the timing belt slipping and screwing up the whole engine along the way there even though I thought maybe he was exaggerating the severity of the situation. I'm figuring better off safe than sorry, I'm going to have to get it done at some point anyway, and I need a reliable car I won't have to worry about since I'm going to be driving a lot for school and work. $650 total, not including the $55 I had to spend on a cam sensor that set off the CEL, and this guy is replacing the sensor in the price.