Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

SOS - NEED HELP ASAP(tranny)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 09:36 PM
Default SOS - NEED HELP ASAP(tranny)

2002 Honda Civic EX 1.7L

Hey all, having emergency problem. I'm in Vacation in California, supposed to head back to Arizona tomorrow(Monday).

Woke up this morning and was going to the store to get some coffee. When I started my car it was whining. Popped the hood, and it is coming from the transmission. Didn't think anything of it, maybe just cold, so I kept on going. Right away I noticed it for the life of it will not shift into 2nd gear. Than it threw a engine code.

Got back to the place i'm staying. Found a shop about a mile away(pep boys...ugh) and limped her over their. Borrowed a code reader, and came back with P0750 - Shift Solenoid Malfunction.

Okay. So, at this point I start the car back up, and uhoh, it won't shift into any gear. Park, and Neutral only. Drive or reverse is only neutral. Ahhh!!!

So, i'm stuck. You guys think the Shift solenoid is just a goner? If so, thank god it's outside of the transmission on the side of case.

Little background. Im a mechanic in Arizona, at Sun Devil Auto. I don't know ANYTHING about transmission except a few minor details. Right before my trip, I did a bunch of work. (this is actually my girlfriends car). I replace Motor mount, tranny mount, both serp belts, timing belt, water pump, and spark plugs. I did tranny flush 5-6 months ago. I checked everything right before we left, and the fluid is nice and clean and full right on the dot. Before we drove out here, I was sure to drive it at least 250 miles just too make sure their is no issues with all the work I did. Not a single issue, car drove beautifully again. Like new.

Will getting that p0750 give the exact issue it is stating(shift solenoid) or is it like a evap leak, were it could be ANYWHERE?

Thank you for anyone that has suggestions. I'm getting nervous that maybe he entire tranny is kaput. Need reasurance. Just about too pull hair out of my head i'm so stressed. Couldn't happen at a worse time!