Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Squeeky engine noise...whats causing it???

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 09:12 AM
Default Squeeky engine noise...whats causing it???

I recently swapped a brand new, 0 mile b16A into my 97 civic. I havent floored this car so that the engine breaks in good. Just recently, on idle, there is this squeeky engine noise coming from around where all the belts and alternator are located. The engine runs fine when driving. To describe the noise its almost like a pebble got stuck somewhere and its grinding against something or like metal grinding like when your brake pads are worn down. On inspection, the belts seem to spin fine, no wobble. Everything looks ok on view. Can anyone give me leads on what could possibly be causing this noise or any areas, nuts, bolts I need to inspect? Its not coming from the engine block itself and Im pretty familiar with my cars normal engine noises but this one is loud and annoying. It comes and goes but today it just got louder.

Old 02-28-2005, 08:30 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Squeeky engine noise...whats causing it???

are the belts tight? it sounds like it might be a loose accessory drive belt. probably the alternator belt.

Old 04-04-2005, 08:00 PM

bump. i have the same problem. i was told it might be because of the barings on the idel pulley. i have yet to check that out due to another problem i have...

Old 04-04-2005, 09:15 PM

Check your timing belt immediately. I just got my car out of the shop, and they hadnt readjusted it correctly, and it was sliding out at idle. If your timing belt breaks your engine is completely ruined. One tell-tale sign is if it goes away when you rev the car. At least thats what mine did. Also look for enhanced vibration in the car.