Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Starting problem?!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 06:31 PM
Default Starting problem?!?

I just picked up a 2000 Ex for $400. To explain the situation, the owner of the car filled up on gas and left his civic running and went in to pay for his gas and when he came out his car was going down the road. The cops found it a few days later with most of the aftermarket parts stripped and sitting on blocks. I don't think the motor is blown cause the car will actually try to start but won't completely turn over. The ripped the AEM intake off of it and when they did so the wires in the sensor on top of the throttle body\ intake manifold were ripped out. Would this possible cause problem with the car not starting? I haven't really got to do any trouble shooting but when looking it over when I purchased it I notice those wire were ripped out of the sensor. I didn't want to mess with it in front of them and find out its something simple and then they jack the price up on me haha. Anything else I should check for when I get a free night to work on it and see about checking it out to see if the motor is still good?! Thanks in advance guys and really appreciate as much help as possible!

Old 10-06-2007, 06:59 PM
Default RE: Starting problem?!?

i dont have any real advice on this , just wanted to say that i too picked up a vandalized honda (96 hatch) for 800.00 , luckily for me , its only really bolting stuff back together , no real engine problems as i have already driven it around my neighborhood ..

mine still has a clear title !

good luck .

j.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:06 PM

Luck you! Hopefully all my problem is just that sensor and won't allow it run cause Im guessing that sensor has something to do with the throttle body and when its not engaging it won't allow the car to start. The car actually tries to start but it won't completely start up and run. So that's what makes me think the motor is still good and they didn't try blowing it up when they stole it or anything like that. ***Knock on wood***

Old 10-07-2007, 05:31 PM
Recognized HCF Member

That's the MAP sesnsor. It will not run with it disconnected, its signal is essential for the ECU to determine how much fuel to inject.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:28 PM

After doing some research on the map sensor Im hoping I can fix the wires back into the sensor and get the car to start. Im bringing it to the shop tomorrow evening to start checking the problem out on it and I so hope it is something really simple like this cause I will have made out good on this car for it being a 2000 Ex with a D16y8 motor and other than starting issues the only other problem is it needs a wind shield and drivers side window and this ride will be back on the road and top it all off I only paid $400 for the car! I doubt I will get off that easy though! = (

Old 10-08-2007, 06:00 AM
HCF Member

I'm not saying that the engine isn't blown, but you should definitely NOT say that there are not blown because they turn over... A blown engine can actually work kinda good but still be blown...