Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Steering troubles

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 03:21 PM
Default Steering troubles

My sister has a 95 civic and the other day her steering wheel starting making a horrible noise..it sounded like metel rubbing metal when she turned her wheel,then it locked up,her boyfriend messed with it and got it to turn and the noise went away for several days,now its back and its making a clunking noise when turning (not all the time) but most of the time..does anyone have any clue of what it might be?Im going to take a look at it tomarrow and thought i would see if anyone had any ideas..Thanks in advance for the help...Rodney

Old 10-11-2007, 03:56 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Steering troubles

sounds to me like MAYBE the end links are bad... id lift the front of the car up take the wheels off and turn the steering wheel side to side and look forany clanking... when i replaced the balljoint on my 94 i notice that those like ball joints arent greasable so if the rubber is torn its only a matter of time before the joint gets dirt and grinds it to death!

just one posibility it could be...
another MAYBE is the steerings swivel universal joint... could have worn pins

im not sure where its located at tho... either under the dash OR on the steering in the engine bay. i THINK its under the dash tho...

just fiddle with the steering wheel and the the front wheels turning side to side and ya should be able to hear or see the bad point.
could be any of them....

also is it power steering or manual steering? could be something as lame as the power steering fluid is empty.LOL