Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Temperature gauge stays on HOT !

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 01:40 AM
Default Temperature gauge stays on HOT !

Howdy ya'll, My first time on here. I just bought a 1994 Honda Civic hatchback VX for $200. It has/had some issues. Anyway the odometer and speedometer worked VERY irradicate. It registered crazy at any given time........So I took it all apart and got that part fixed, not sure how but I think it was a bad connection on the circuit board. BUT........now the temperature gauge goes all the way to HOT in a matter of 15 seconds after starting. (engine is not hot)

Here is the main question.........where the heck is the sending unit for temp gauge?? I know how to check it if I can find it LOL

Thanks for your advice...............Have a GREAT day. email jazzman_4@hotmail.com

Old 12-30-2007, 01:45 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Temperature gauge stays on HOT !

if the needles where pop out and placed back in it makes it go reallynuts and to set it where it goes it's a beat-ch , Do you know if the needles been tempered with before. People usually mes with them when installingwhite glow facegauges

Old 12-30-2007, 08:58 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The sending unit is screwed into the end of the cylinder head underneath the distributor. It is hard to see with the distributor in place. There are two sensors there, the one with one wire drives the gauge on the dashboard. If you unplug the wire the gauge should stay at cold. If the wire is shorted to ground it will stay at hot like you have, though probably the problem is the cluster itself since someone has messed with it before.

Erratic readings on the speedometer can also result from the vehicle speed sensor on the transmission, or the ground wires on the engine, especially those on the thermostat housing.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:34 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I agree with mk378. My guess is that you have an electrical short in the circuit for the temperature gauge, which is routed through terminal A4 of connector A for the gauge assembly (picture 1). Check whether connector A is seated properly and that the male and female connector terminals and wires are not damaged.

Picture 2 also shows how to troubleshoot both the sending unit and gauge.