Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Aftermarket temperature gauge install

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 02:34 PM
Default Aftermarket temperature gauge install

Hey,

Was planning on putting in an aftermarket mechanical temp gauge today...got the gauge installed and ran the line, however cannot seem to find a hole in the block that has the same type of threads or anything remotely near what I need. In all I have found 3 different sensors:

1. A one wire on the left hand side of the block with a 1/4 inch thread. (that is the temp sender for the in dash gauge)
2. A 2 wire unit that is a little bit lower than the 1 wire unit and has a little bigger diameter to it. Not sure what this one does.
3. A 2 wire unit that is on the back side of the motor, in the thermostat housing. Biggest of the three as far as diameter.

I can only account for what the first one actually does. Would it be bad to remove one of those other sensors and replace it with my mechanical unit?

What are those other 2 units for anyways? All 3 of them are in the colling system, they all touch coolant and therefore they should all be some sort of sending units...

I have purchased 2 different adapter kits to try and make the mechanical unit fit into one of the holes...none seemed ti do the trick without being just a little loose etc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Old 04-21-2006, 07:57 PM
Default RE: Aftermarket temperature gauge install

So no one has put a mechanical temp gauge on their motor?

Old 04-24-2006, 10:59 AM

So by the lack of posts this tells me that either no one has used a mechanical temp gauge, or their is enough accurate electrical temp gauges that it is not a necessity. Well...I am going to tackle this one, and when I do I will post a thread that explains exactly how it was done....for the one guy out there who might decide he wants an accurate temperature reading....

Old 04-24-2006, 09:04 PM
HCF Member

This might help u instruction
[sm=welcomesign.gif]

Old 04-24-2006, 10:32 PM

Thank you phoenix for your reply. Although useful information it does not directly help with my issue. I am digging out some old information I have in a file cabinet to try and get down to the bottom of this. It may entail building some sort of auxillary housing and tig welding it up, then bolting it to the block in place of the factory return nipple. I will take some pictures and stuff as I get it all worked out.