Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

think about doing a project, need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 02:09 PM
HCF Member
Default think about doing a project, need help

im looking at a 1996 Civic CX 5sp manual 2dr hatch back with a bad motor but i cant find out what motor it organily came with, mostly want to know if it was a vtec, the owner has no clue and i already searched for motor of wikipedia but no luck. the motor in it was swaped so i cant just look and see and its to far to go look at and then decide. i have a stock motor out of a 98 civic ex, the d16y8, its vtec so i dont know how much of a pain it is to put a vtec motor into a car that doesn't have the wiring?

Old 10-10-2007, 03:39 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: think about doing a project, need help

from what ive heard wiring the vtec isnt to hard but might need the vtec computer to go with it...
and as most people say if your unsure about the clutch go ahead and replace it.. might as well do it while its apart. id say swap tranny as well if its not from the D motor...

i bought my 94civic with a blown motor and AS LONG as you get a deal on the car its a great project... just take it into complete consideration... cause a blown motor will DESTROY the sale price!!!!!!!!! i got my 94 with 200K miles for 400bucks.
just look over it REALY GOOD and HOPEFULLY it wont nickel and dime ya to death!

i spent about 600bucks on replacement seals and parts for the motor trans....
i need to sit down and add everything up to be positive but at least 500bucks in just parts! and thats not including the replacement motor! so be prepaired for the small parts to add up... at least if you want it done right! and a drip free car! LOL

BUT as soon as it fires up and moves on its own power... YOULL BE HAPPY.... trust me i am hahahahaa
BUT until it starts up it will get frustrating!