Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

timeing belt

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 10:24 PM
Default timeing belt

hi all im sorry about the last post im new to this .but i got a 88 honad civic a chick had it and thetimming belt brack on her would ther or could ther be much damger . could i get a new belt ,redo the timeing and put it on and be sweet . ask be case i was told it would have a safty head on it for that resion is this true cheers

Old 06-17-2011, 11:41 AM
HCF Member

You should be fine as far as damaging your Civic's engine is concerned. Your Civic has non-interference cylinder heads, meaning that if the timing belt snaps or breaks, the piston face does not make contact with the valves. Most (gasoline) OHC and newer engines have this design. With that said, I would go ahead and replace the timing belt.

There's a good series of youtube video tutorials on changing a Civic timing belt here: YouTube - ‪How to: Replace a timing belt and water pump - part 1‬‏

Good luck with your repairs man!

Old 06-17-2011, 11:47 AM
HCF Member

Wait a minute. I thought Civics DID have interference engines???

I know the EG series and newer models use interference designs.

Not so sure about the EFs and older.

If the timing belt did break and you do have an interference engine, then get ready to join me in the PO' house...lol.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:02 PM
Recognized HCF Member

It is an interference engine; it should have a D15B2 which is just like all the other D-series engines. There is usually, but not always, internal damage if the timing belt breaks. There are two ways to tell if the valves are damaged. A cylinder leakdown test could be done to see if the valves still seal, or you can just put a new belt on and see what happens.

Another check is to take the valve cover off, rotate the cam to various positions, and see if any of the rocker arms get really loose. That would mean there's a problem with that valve, but the test is not completely conclusive.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:15 PM

Yes, Civics have interference engines. Pull the head and check for bent valves and cracked pistons. If you're lucky, you can put it back on and be good to go.

[edit]

Or do what mk378 says. That's actually much less work.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:29 PM

cheers every one thats a big help .i normly work on old hemi 6 and v8 never worked on a new car with all the hose **** lol and a black box hmmmmm lol
so think you all you have been a big help i put same pics up and keep you all informed on the progress