Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Timing Belt Questions / 2001 Civic LX

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 04:50 AM
Default Timing Belt Questions / 2001 Civic LX

Hi everyone,

I'm a lurker but I'm hovering right around the magic 110,000 mile mark on my baby. Local Honda dealer wants $450 for timing belt/water pump replacement and $850 for "the big maintenance" as the service guy I talked to put it. From looking at the stuff categorized as "big maintenance" I can do all of it but I figure if I can, why not go ahead and do the timing belt/water pump myself? I'm planning on ordering parts from Majestic here in the next couple of days but want to make sure I've got everything I need before I start unbolting stuff.

Besides replacing the timing belt and water pump, I've read it's a good idea to replace the tensioner too. Besides those three items, what else should definitely be replaced? Seals, gaskets, etc for the timing belt covers, valve cover?

Tool-wise aside from the standard wrenches, breaker bar, the nifty little crank pulley tool is there anything else that would be advisable to obtain/borrow to make this process go smoothly?

And beyond that, any tips or tricks and general precautions to keep in mind? I've switched out serpentine belts, water pumps and alternators and power window regulators even in Saturns and Caravans but this is my first venture under the hood of a Honda.

(And yeah, I'm going to order an extra one of those little key things for the crankshaft pulley just in case because I am that paranoid about losing the one that's already there.)

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-31-2008, 08:30 AM
Recognized HCF Member

When you initially try to remove the crankshaft pulley bolt, you may think that you made the wrong decision to do the timing belt job yourself. That bolt is so TIGHT, though persevering will ultimately pay off.

Obtain two breaker bars (18" and 24"). The shorter one is for the HEX tool. Steady the latter bar for the HEX tool by wedging it under the tie rod. Also get a several foot length of metal pipe to extend the leverage of the 24" bar, which is used to loosen the crank pulley bolt. You'll need a 17" deep socket for the latter. Well in advance, soak the crank bolt with PB Blaster.

When doing the job, also replace the timing belt tensioner and the three drive belts. Consider also replacing the spark plug seals, bolt seals, and gasket in the valve cover.