Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Timing Belt Tensioner Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 03:26 PM
Default Timing Belt Tensioner Problem

First off I am new here and find this forum to be just what the doctor ordered from what I've seen so far. So on to my issue. I'm changing my timing belt and had to replace my timing tensioner. I had to order a bolt for the tensioner from honda and when trying to screw it in place it is not catching the threads. It seems like it's not going in far enough to catch the threads. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions? I've even thought that the previous bolt broke off and part of it is what's keeping the new bolt from going in far enough. If this is the problem does anyone know a way to get the broken part out of the hole? I've got a 1995 Honda Civic with D16Z6 SOHC VTEC

Old 06-06-2011, 04:40 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Why did you have to order a bolt? Did you get the right bolt? It should be obvious if there's a broken bolt in the hole. In that case, standard broken bolt removal procedures would apply. You might need to remove the engine from the car to have enough space to work on it.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:11 AM

When I took the Timing Belt cover off, the bolt for the tensioner was missing. At first I thought that the guy that changed the timing belt before i bought the car didn't tighten it down and it vibrated loose. But now I'm thinking it broke. And as far as being able to see it, it's too far into the hole for me to be able to see it from the little bit of room I have to work with. the bolt is the correct one by the way. I got the part # from honda and used it when ordering from my local dealership.