Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

tire change f'ked up my struts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 01:58 PM
HCF Member

it sure sounds like something is broken in the rear.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:26 PM

damn the bounce seemed a lot less present for a little while today, but as i was driving back home it was doign it again...

tomorrow when my dad takes his car out of the garage ill put mine in (whre its slightly warmer than the -30, yes its been three days -30 celcius..) and lift the car. If the spring is broken im guessing its easy to tell, but where would the shock absorber be leaking fluid from?

For now my theory is the extreme cold combined with the already very old suspensions has broken something there and its just coincidental with the fact it happened when i changed my tires.

i actually thought the spring did what the shock absorber does, and vice-versa so thank god someone pointed that out to me.

I will keep you all posted when i have a look/solve the problem. who knows someone might need the info eventually.

thank you guys very much!

Old 01-16-2009, 03:37 PM
HCF Member

It seems improbable, but the tires you got could have poly belts instead of steel, which would allow flat-spotting in the cold. The tires would basically be out of round, causing a bumpy ride.

I think it's more likely that your suspension components are old and tired. When the car was put on the lift, the struts fully extended as the tires drooped. Their seals may have been damaged as a direct or indirect result. This is especially likely if their shafts are dirty. The hyper-extension of components could also have caused a worn component (spring, mount, bushing, etc.) to finally let go.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:30 AM

well a quick update for anyone interested

i didnt do anything
problem fixed itself...
:S
lol next time ill know to blame the extreme weather thanks everyone