Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Turn signal will not self cancel anymore

Old 12-14-2005, 12:56 AM
Default Turn signal will not self cancel anymore

My 96 civic dx coupe has perfectly functioning turn signal that do not self cancel after you make a turn anymore. This happened before but it went away after a few weeks and then a few weeks later came back. I can no longer take having to cancel it myself. Its a pain with a manual. What do I need to fix it and how much of the stearing column am i going to have to take apart?

Old 12-14-2005, 02:49 PM
Default RE: Turn signal will not self cancel anymore

The covers on the top and bottom of the column have to come off, along with the wheel (tilt the column down to make it easier to get the top on off). After that, it's easy access to the switch, which basically encircles the column. If I remember correctly, there are 4 screws in the front center of the switch that attach it to the column.

Old 12-27-2005, 11:35 AM

I had the same problem with my car, this started when I fixed my steering column missing screw, as the same was loose and making noise every time.

Old 12-29-2005, 04:30 PM

I have the same problem but only in these cold chicago winters. As soon as the car gets warmer its fine so I just ignore it.

Old 12-29-2005, 07:03 PM
HCF Member

I think my wife mentioned the same problem to me a while back....since I don't drive her car it really didn't concern me too much...but if it is an easy fix, I may tackle it....my only concern is the airbag!

Old 12-29-2005, 07:14 PM
HCF Member

I was working on a truck a couple months back that had the same problem, but only one of the signals didn't turn off. There is something called a canceling cam that turns the signal off. On the truck that i worked on, there was a spring that was broken on the canceling cam. I got a new spring, installed it and it worked fine. I dunno how it works on the civic cause ive never seen it b4, but it mite be similar. Hope that helps. THe cancelign cam was behind the steering wheel. I had to remove a lock plate after i removed the steering wheel to get at it.

Old 12-30-2005, 04:15 PM
HCF Member

i no this guy who had the same problem, he went to the scrap yard and pulled the assembily out of a civic and installed it in his, im not sure if it was hard or anything but thats a cheap way of doing it.i wouldent imagin it being to hard

Old 11-06-2008, 06:33 PM
HCF Member

ok, this is happening on and off in my car. i was thinking of taking a look at it this weekend. did i read one reply right? you have to take the steering wheel off also?

also questions about the airbag, i installed an aftermarket stereo. and there were concerns about the airbag. i was scared as hell removing the trim pieces, and better believe had my melon no where near the wheel.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:22 AM
HCF Member

if all you want to do is install a new turn signal switch, no you do not have to remove the steering wheel. It will make it easier but you don't have to.

like Kappa22 says, there are 4 screws that will allow you to remove it but make sure you are careful when you remove the electric connector.

I replaced the other side b/4 with a junkyard part and it works great. never had to remove the steering wheel though.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:49 PM
HCF Member

thanks mundy, might tear into her then. if it was a steering wheel removal thing, probably wouldhave just lived with it.