Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Two Questions in One...any help appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 08:24 AM
Default Two Questions in One...any help appreciated

Hey all-

Been awhile since i've posted...but I have 2 issues...first off...its a 98' Honda Civic LX 4-door 1.6L motor:

1) Drive belt on left side of car whines like there's no tomorrow...took it to mechanic and he said its b/c the splash shield is missing, and water got up into it.
Nice assessment (we've had alot of rain here), but when its bone dry it does it too.
The belt dosen't "look" cracked or frayed, but when flexed, there's about a 1/8"--maybe a lil less-- inch (guessing here)
I'm thinking it needs replaced. Opinions?

2) Cupped Rear left tire: How serious is this? I know it causes a big vibration at speed, and just flat out annoying. Mechanic said to just ride it out, and not rotate tires on to the front b/c could further make the tires worse.

i'm concerned there might be a suspension issue?

Sorry for the long winded post....if any of you all have similar experiences or situations, i'd appreciate feedback...thanks!

Old 04-21-2008, 10:47 AM
Default RE: Two Questions in One...any help appreciated

your belt whines because it could have gotten water on it but it wouldn't do it all the time unless you drive through water non stop. If you got a splash shield it could help stop it. I don't have splash shield on my car and my belts never squeaks.
As for the cupped rear left tire your alignment needs to be checked. your Toe and Camber is probably the cause. Hope this helps.