Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Typical problem.. losing radio presets

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 02:01 PM
Unhappy Typical problem.. losing radio presets

I am a noob to this forum.

2001 Honda Civic LX
All are factory parts except the radio. Radio is aftermarket and I installed the radio myself.

When I turn off the car and take keys out, the radio loses the presets and the power doorlocks don't work. Everything else about the car is perfect.

So, I read up on this forum and found the 'backup' fuse and yup, the fuse was blown. So, I replaced it with new fuse.

Now, the radio remembers the presets and power doorlocks work.

But, now the battery drains in 2 to 2-1/2 hrs when the car is sitting in my garage.

What am I missing? Have I been banished from privilege of a radio with presets?

Regards,

Old 06-16-2011, 07:32 PM
HCF Member

Most likely, the fuse blew because there is a dead or near-dead short. Something is wrong within that circuit. Finding it can be a challenge. For the time being, pull the fuse or your battery will die an early death.

By the way, I find it to be much easier to install an aftermarket receiver from Crutchfield. They have all the adapters and wire harness necessary to plug & play - no messing around with all the wires. They even have adapter plates for a factory-like look.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:04 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Unplug the radio first of course as it may be wired wrong. There doesn't seem to be much else that could draw that much current and not go up in smoke. To test if the battery is going to run down you can take the fuse out and connect an amp meter (VOM set on amps) or a light bulb across the contacts in the fuse box. The current should be only a few milliamps.